JOB OPENING: Literacy Specialist
REPORTS TO: School Director
JOB GOAL :
The literacy specialist works to support the literacy goals of the campus and the district by providing guidance on issues of literacy across the curriculum, supporting teachers in their course planning and instructional strategies. The literacy specialist provides targeted intervention to struggling readers and writers across all grade levels in order to ensure that all YES Prep students are equipped to master the rigorous college prep curriculum.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year educational institution.
- Master’s Degree highly preferred but not required.
- ESL certification highly preferred; candidates without it will be expected to pursue this certification.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- At least three years of teaching experience
- Outstanding record of instruction and student achievement
- Significant work with populations of struggling readers / writers
The Literacy Specialist will:
1. create unit and lesson plans for the reading enrichment or reading / writing workshop classes offered on campus and ensure that teachers delivering those lessons are fully prepared to do so effectively
2. teach designated sections of reading enrichment or reading / writing workshop classes
3. coordinate benchmark testing of reading ability across the campus
4. assist classroom teachers in strategic lesson and unit planning based on results of benchmark testing and other assessments
5. design and deliver workshops to campus staff on various topics related to literacy instruction
6. deliver model lessons or mini lessons in other teachers classrooms to demonstrate effective literacy Strategies
7. serve as the chair for the LPAC committee (as appropriate for that campus) and ensure compliance with state and federal guidelines related to ELL/ESL services; monitor the progress of students designated as English Language Learners
8. seek out appropriate outside professional development opportunities for staff related to literacy
9. perform other duties, as appropriate and agreed upon with the campus leader, related to literacy development of students on that campus
COMMITMENT AND COMPENSATION :
- Knowledgeable about current literacy strategies
- Ability to work effectively with students in large-group (classroom) and small-group (tutoring, pull out) settings
- Ability to work urgently in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment
- Ability of communicate with various audiences in an authentic and persuasive manner
- Strong written communication skills
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once
- Detail-oriented and self-directed
- Initiator, problem-solver, and creative thinker
- Ability to work independently on short and long-term projects
- Fluency in Spanish, preferred, but not required
Length of Work Year:
10 months; evening and weekend commitments will also be required; occasional travel through the state and region
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation commensurate with experience; YES offers a friendly and committed team of colleagues, and a comprehensive benefits plan including medical, dental, vision, life and disability, plus supplemental policies, and retirement programs, including the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and a 401(k) plan.
- The forgoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required.YES Prep Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual preference, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or veteran status.
For over seventeen years, YES Prep Public Schools has redefined what is possible in public education. With more than 10,000 college-bound...