About The Port Authority
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is a bi-state public agency operating some of the busiest and most important transportation links in the New York / New Jersey region including The Port Authority Trans Hudson Corporation (PATH), the primary transit link between Manhattan and New Jersey communities and suburban commuter railroads.
- Represents the Port Authority during post-disaster operations, and coordinates provision of post-disaster mitigation assistance. Surveys the disaster areas to assist in the identification of appropriate measures to mitigate consequences of hazards, and the most applicable state and federal mitigation assistance programs to fund those measures.
- Assists in preparing and processing applications for mitigation assistance awards and grants in accordance with applicable state and federal laws, rules, policies, and procedures.
- Serves as the Port Authority project officer, and coordinates and assists in the administration of federally funded Mitigation Grant Programs. Reviews quarterly project progress reports and provides guidance and assistance to local jurisdictions concerning documentation requirements and in the resolution of problems.
- Performs project site inspections to verify progress or completion of grant projects and causes for delays from established timelines or deviations from the approved scope of work.
- Collects, compiles, maintains and reports data and information concerning hazard mitigation programs, actions, and the status of mitigation assistance program projects.
- Writes an invitation for bids, selects contractors, negotiates specifications and develops complex contracts to conduct engineering and environmental reviews of potential mitigation projects; monitors contractor performance; reviews the work of contractors for completeness and accuracy before authorizing payment.
- Designs, monitors, and enforces paper and electronic filing plans for mitigation grant activities. Organizes workflow and workflow tracking mechanisms within the office to equalize workload across work centers and ensure rapid access to information.
- Conducts review and reconciliation of project expenditures across grants to prepare for external audits and expedite grant closeout.
- Perform assignments as required by the Director, Office of emergency Management. Be available on short notice to perform task for long periods of time and of a physical hardship.
- Graduation from an accredited 4-year college or university plus 3 years of responsible work experience in positions involving any combination of emergency management, planning, contingency planning, hazard mitigation, public administration, coastal zone management, or risk management.
Education and experience of the type described can be substituted for one another on a year-for-year basis.
The ideal candidate will present the following Qualifications profile:
- A thorough knowledge of the consequences of hazards, particularly hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, severe thunderstorms; as well as intentional and technological incidents
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of public administration.
- Considerable knowledge of programs and measures used to help reduce losses due to natural hazards and well as intentional and technological.
- Considerable knowledge of government contracting procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of methods of resources management, including the acquisition, allocation, and distribution of various types of financial assistance and disaster relief.
- Working knowledge of Federal grants administration procedures and requirements.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting resume and cover letter.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Office of Emergency Management
Port Authority of NY & NJ - 14 months ago