This is a SEASONAL position.
Under direction, performs routine work assignments involving the monitoring of the lorikeet exhibit, care of the lorikeets and maintenance of the exhibit.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepares nectar and other diet items for the lorikeets.
- Responsible for the daily observation of animal health and welfare.
- Reports births, deaths, injuries and/or irregular behavior of animals to appropriate manager.
- Answers visitor’s questions about the Zoo and the animals as necessary.
- Ensures the safety of the lorikeets.
- Works with lorikeet volunteers.
- Reports maintenance issues and potential safety hazards to appropriate manager.
- Carries out duties and job assignments as delegated by appropriate Animal Manager or Assistant Curator.
- Active. Sufficient mobility, vision and hearing are needed to ensure a safe work environment. Must be able to be on feet for four hours at a time.
- Mainly outside working in extremes of heat, up to 100° + in summer.
- Internal: Daily with other zoo employees.
- External: Daily with visitors, volunteers and guests.
- Knowledge of animal behavior.
- Knowledge of procedures used for the proper care and handling of exotic and domestic animals.
- Eventual knowledge of zoo safety rules and regulations.
- Ability to tolerate stress working with exotic animals.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions including procedures for care and maintenance of animals, exhibit, service and holding spaces.
- Ability to exhibit patience when caring for animals.
- Ability to exercise judgment concerning assigned work activities.
- Skill in tact and diplomacy when interacting with co-workers, visitors and volunteers.
- Skill in observation in order to recognize and evaluate conditions of animal health, diets and behavior.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- A high school degree/GED.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Willingness to work a rotating shift and rotate work tasks.
- Ability to work weekends, evenings and holidays, during all climatic conditions.
- Must be able to make immediate decisions concerning safety of animals and people.
Considerable latitude is given to the position to carry out the work objectives and determine the best method for dealing with situations that arise.
- High. Frequent short deadlines. Hectic work environment with occasional periods of high stress.