ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS |
1. Assists in the preparation and serving of attractive, high quality, nutritious, cost effective meals following standardized procedures, which may include cooking, baking, and/or salad making, according to the established work schedule, following menu planners as well as meeting District standards.
2. Understands and complies with Federal, State, and local requirements for meal reimbursement and menu planner documentation.
3. Completes assigned tasks within time allocated.
4. Complies with all food safety and sanitation procedures; understands HACCP procedures and assists in maintaining HACCP records.
5. Assists in the cleaning of kitchen, equipment, tables and storeroom as scheduled by the manager. Reports equipment malfunctions to manager to insure safe working conditions.
6. Assists in maintaining appropriate food and supply inventories.
7. May relieve or assist other unit employees in higher meal preparation tasks to meet emergencies, on-the-job training situations or as necessary to maintain the operation of the cafeteria unit or as assigned by the Kitchen Manager and her/his designee.
8. Collects money and accounts for meals served according to established procedures by computer or other designated procedure.
9. Establishes and maintains cooperative working relations with others.
10. Promotes SPS and Nutrition Services Department Vision, Mission and Goals.
11. Participates in food safety and sanitation training yearly
12. Performs related duties consistent with the scope and intent of the position.
Works under general supervision of the Kitchen Manager or designee.
Required to shift tasks and priorities; required to stand and walk for prolonged periods; perform fingering functions; experience frequent interruptions; required to think logically and creatively; requires mental concentration; requires flexibility and adaptability; requires effective decision-making and problem solving; requires individual initiative and teamwork; required to communicate clearly with diverse audiences; required to operate commercial kitchen equipment; requires mechanical aptitude to master operation of complex equipment; required to lift objects weighing up to 25 pounds in accordance with established guidelines; required to assume positions, perform movements, and demonstrate stamina and exertions needed to prepare meals. May be exposed to general cleaning chemicals.
Must possess a valid Food Handler’s Permit.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Food preparation techniques and procedures
Food Safety and Sanitation
Modern methods of food preparation, including recipe adjustment; acceptable product standards, including quality and sanitation aspects; basic math; basic computer operation.
Use English communication orally and in writing
Read and write in English.
Do simple mathematical calculations.
Do simple banking requirements.
Follow instructions and use fundamentals of food preparation techniques and procedures following approved safety and sanitation requirements.
Learn Federal, State and Local requirements for the National School Lunch
Operate all types of commercial kitchen equipment, including a mechanical
aptitude for operating/adjusting complex equipment.
Establish and maintain good working relationships with students, staff and the public in a courteous and professional manner.
Work under supervision following written and oral instruction.
Learn and operate Nutrition Services computerized system for meal accountability and maintaining records.
Licenses and Special Requirements: Valid Food Handler’s Permit
Seattle Public Schools - 21 months ago