The Surgical Technician II demonstrates proficient knowledge and skills necessary to carry out delegated tasks associated with the safe and efficient operating room support functions and related procedures. Records data established by policy and procedure and reports observations and patient problems to the licensed nurse. The Surgical Tech II is responsible for assigned non-nursing functions and practices relationship centered care in concert with the Methodist Values.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Maintains and accurately processes and updates surgeon preference cards.
2. Participants in restocking of supplies.
3. Organizes the work flow, problem-solves, and manages multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision.
4. Demonstrates the componets of the I CARE values statement (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Excellence).
5. Demonstrates the Service Pride standards (smiles and makes eye contact; greets each patient and visitor; seeks out patient and visitor contact; displays appropriate body language at all times; takes 5 minutes each day to go to above and beyond for 1 patient or visitor; honors diversity; thanks every customer).
6. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the work place.
7. Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Successful completion of an accredited or Technician program or equivalency required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- 18 months of experience as a Surgical Technician required
- Mastery in a minimum of 1 or more service lines
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Must be certified by the Surgical Technologist Association or meet the grandfather clause.
- Grandfather clause: The bill includes an extensive grandfather clause exempting all individuals employed to practice surgical technology in a health care facility before Sept. 1, 2009. The clarification notes that legislation does not state employed "on" Sept. 1, 2009, but rather "before that date. A surgical technologist who was employed before Sept. 1, 2009, may remain employed as a surgical technologist without meeting the certification requirement.
- American Heart Association BLS required.
1. Must pass and demonstrate skills and competency upon clinical orientation to the unit.
2. Must be able to write and speak effectively in English.
3. Knowledge of Medical terminology required
Houston Methodist - 14 months ago
Houston Methodist is a nonprofit health care organization based in Houston, Texas. It has extended the world-renowned clinical and service...