This position is responsible for certain Finance functions of Dignity Health related to financial reporting and researching and monitoring system-wide compliance with financial accounting and reporting, as well as assisting with the preparation of various accounting and finance policies and procedures to be applied on a system-wide basis. This position is also responsible for reflecting and promoting the mission and philosophy of Dignity Health.
Dignity Health is a system of 39 hospitals, over 20 consolidated fund raising foundations and over 20 consolidated health-related subsidiary corporations and foundations primarily located in California, Arizona and Nevada.
The Dignity Health Financial Reporting Department provides system-wide services in the area of strategic planning, information systems, centralized cash management and investment programs, financial and statistical reporting, centralized self-insurance programs, risk management, short and long term financing, payroll, accounts payable, tax reporting, human resources, legal, advocacy, communications, managed care, and mission effectiveness.
· Research and document various accounting issues pertaining to Dignity Health’s operations and financial reporting requirements, such as revenue recognition, asset impairment, discontinued operations, alternative investments, derivatives, capitalization rules, pension accounting, accounting for joint ventures, accounting for surgical equipment inventory, contractual allowances, asset retirement obligations, lease accounting, etc., as they arise. Provide system-wide guidance and oversight of implementation required pursuant to required accounting treatment.
· Research new accounting pronouncements and guidance as necessary (FASBs, EITFs, SOPs, FSPs, etc.). Prepare internal documentation outlining the System’s conclusion and resulting decision regarding adoption/application of any such new accounting pronouncements. Ensure conclusions are acceptable with external auditors and/or tax preparers, as necessary. Prepare and communicate instructions to facilities related to the adoption/application of new accounting pronouncements or guidance and monitor compliance with any such adoption/application and the financial impact on the System.
· Review other internal and external reports to ensure consistency and accuracy of information reported, including the application of reporting for discontinued operations, etc.
· Work closely with Senior Directors and Directors of Accounting and Reporting at the Accounting Service Centers and personnel in the System’s facility finance departments to ensure proper monthly consolidated financial reporting and provide guidance as necessary.
· Identify opportunities for improving accuracy, timeliness and effectiveness of financial systems, reporting and procedures.
· Develop or update System financial and accounting policies and procedures to ensure consistency in financial and statistical reporting and accounting.
· Maintain a repository for all issues agreed to by the Finance Standards Group, communications to the facilities related to accounting positions, etc.
· Participate in the Finance Steering and Standards Groups.
· Responsible for the preparation of audited financial statements for the System and Obligated Group, including footnote preparation and management’’ discussion and analysis.
· Assist with planning and coordinating the external audit process, including required coordination with internal audit.
· Assist with various audit and tax packages and questionnaires, both internal and external (from auditors, etc.).
· Assist the Tax Senior Analyst with research of various tax issues.
· Assist the Tax Senior Analyst in the coordination, preparation and review of the material and reports required for Form 990 preparation for all entities across the system, primarily related to disclosure requirements such as tax-exempt bond issuances, liabilities for uncertain tax positions under FIN 48, etc.
· Prepare quarterly reports for review by management and external auditors.
· Coordinate the preparation of workpapers required by the external auditors for quarterly reviews and scan for potential issues.
· Compile and review quarterly representation letters from Hospital Presidents, CFOs and Service Area CFOs.
· Compile and review quarterly joint venture compliance questionnaires from Hospital CFOs.
· Assist with the provision of budget guidance to all facilities on an annual basis related to new accounting guidance, etc.
This position reports to the Vice President, Financial Services and Reporting. The Financial Reporting Senior Analyst reports to this position.
Regular contact with the accounting and finance departments and CFOs throughout the System, internal and external auditors.
· Bachelors degree in accounting or finance
· Six to eight years combined in accounting, financial reporting and healthcare or not-for-profit experience
· CPA or public accounting experience preferred
Knowledge and Skills
· Strong research and written communications skills
· Strong computer application skills
· Analytical and quantitative skills
· Ability to work and communicate effectively with all levels of management
· Ability to prioritize work activities and to meet deadlines
· Excellent interpersonal and verbal communications skills
Dignity Health, headquartered in San Francisco, Calif., provides integrated, patient and family centered care. It is the fifth largest health system in the country with 10,000 physicians and 55,000 employees across Arizona, California, and Nevada. Through its network of more than 150 ancillary care sites and 40 acute care hospitals, Dignity Health is committed to delivering compassionate, high-quality, affordable health care services with special attention to the poor and underserved. In 2011, Dignity Health provided $1.4 billion in charity care, community benefit and unreimbursed patient care. For more information, please visit our website at www.dignityhealth.org . Dignity Health is also on Facebook and Twitter.
Dignity Health - 23 months ago
With a growing network of hospitals throughout Arizona, California and Nevada, Dignity Health offers a spectacular array of career...