This position provides technical and non-technical support within the laboratory. Functions include an expansive mastery of technical material and knowledge of high complexity tasks such as troubleshooting assays, interpreting assays, teaching, training, assay transfer from Research and Development, instrument function, and client consultation. Requires high caliber focused individuals. Must be able to work flexible hours and on call may be required.
This person usually reports to a Technical Supervisor but may report to other designated managers.
1. Performs all representative activities and accountabilities as defined by the Medical Technologist job description.
2. Performs assigned testing as scheduled.
3. Performs assigned verification duties.
4. Designs, implements, and evaluates new procedures and updates existing procedures.
5. Maintains continual compliance with policies, procedures, and record keeping necessary to meet the standards of regulatory agencies.
6. Provides continuing education for the laboratory.
1. Directs the daily shift work flow of a Technical section(s).
2. Provides and directs the technical expertise in the use, calibration, maintenance, and troubleshooting of all laboratory instruments, equipment, reagents, and testing.
3. Assigns and directs the scheduling and/or performance of instrument maintenance.
4. Assigns and directs the maintenance of adequate supply inventories.
5. Assigns and directs the review of daily QC for trends, shifts, or other problems. Helps with the troubleshooting and resolution of QC problems.
6. Directs and adjusts the workforce to maintain optimal TAT for all testing. Approves/denies attendance of in-service, training, and meetings based upon workload. Calls in additional staff or releases staff early based upon workload.
7. Provides verbal communication and/or consultation to clients/physicians or related questions or assigns the problems.
8. Provides detailed knowledge of specimen collection, handling, transport, processing, analysis, and clinical interpretation to clients/physicians.
9. Acts as a primary contact and resource for couriers, specimen receiving, client services, account representatives, product management, referral testing, and evening/night managers.
10. Provides problem resolution for sample handling, split samples, sample retrieval, lost samples, and request for samples.
11. Institutes computer downtime and emergency procedures for the section if indicated.
12. Enforces all safety guidelines and policies including evacuation procedures.
13. Reviews the DAR and pending sample reports.
14. Communicates all shift issues to the supervisor, manager, and medical directors as required.
Minimum experience/skills required
- Bachelor’s degree in Clinical or Medical Laboratory Science, Medical Technology or in the chemical or biological sciences.
- MLS(ASCP), MT(ASCP) or other ASCP categorical certification in applicable area
- Three years of high complexity clinical labo ratory experience post certification
Physical and other requi rements
- One year of ARUP experience in the area of responsibility
- One year of experience at the ARUP Senior Medical Technologist level
- ASCP Specialty certification or Score 80% or better on a written placement evaluation (may be required for some positions)
- Demonstrated organizational, problem solving, troubleshooting, and interpersonal skills
- Regular and reliable attendance
- Excellent customer service skills
- Fine motor coordination
- Ability to work well with others
- Ability to work assigned schedule and all required overtime
- A bility to work well unsupervised
- Ability to prioritize tasks
- Occasional light lifting is expected
- Ability to move around the laboratory
- Must be able to sit and/or stand for extensive periods of time
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both written and verbal
- Demonstrates responsibility and dependability
- Ability to maintain a professional image and pleasant demeanor
- Strong attention to detail
- Good visual acuity; color perception may be required in some positions
- Ability to organize work, to meet deadlines, and to work under stressful conditions
- High sense of integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Involves judgment in planning work, assessing results, solving problems, and taking or recommending action
- Absolute integrity in the accurate identification of samples, performance, and reporting of results.
ARUP Laboratories - 2 years ago
The good folks at ARUP Laboratories don't grow pale at the sight of blood. The clinical reference lab performs tens of thousands...