Job Summary & Essential Functions: The following describes in general terms the purpose and scope of the position.
Sets up and operates conventional, special purpose, and numerical control (NC) machines and machining centers to fabricate metal parts by performing the following duties.
Required Skills & Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, qualifications, competencies, abilities and any physical demands if required. Physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential requirements of this job.
- Reads blueprints, sketches, drawings, manuals, specifications, or sample part to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished workpiece, sequence of operations, and setup requirements.
- Able to locate detail from engineering drawings and mylars, including determination of correct blank size and inspection criteria.
- Ability to accurately measure mylars to determine dimensions for machining steps.
- Measures, marks, and scribes dimensions and reference points on material or workpiece as guides for subsequent machining.
- Performs functions of Sheet Metal Fabricator I.
- Selects, aligns, and secures holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials on machines.
- Ability to indicate universal mill head for squareness.
- Ability to perform basic turning skills, vertical and horizontal band sawing, vertical milling (Bridgeport), and drill press operations with supervision.
- Calculates and sets controls to regulate machining factors such as speed, feed, coolant flow, and depth and angle of cut, or enters commands to retrieve, input, or edit computerized machine control media.
- Able to select appropriate inspection tool and performs in-process inspection.
- Ability to operate CNC VMCs with supervision.
- Determines correct band sawing speeds.
- Completes regular preventive maintenance and cleaning on machines assigned.
- Confers with engineers, production personnel, programmers, or others to resolve machining problems.
- Uses precision measuring tools, including but not limited to, micrometers, height gages, pin gages and protractors.
- Understands and practices basic machine tool / shop safety.
- Uses BAAN wedge barcode to scan jobs in and out of setup and run.
- Opens reviews and understands the BAAN dispatch list.
- Performs end mill and drill sharpening.
- Understands and promotes Lean Manufacturing principles.
- Ability to perform basic forklift functions to safely move pallets and small tools.
- Performs work requiring a high level of attention to detail.
- Able to effectively utilize basic shop math skills e.g. addition and subtraction of whole numbers and time intervals.
- Read and understand internal procedures and policies.
- Understand and follow through on both verbal and written instructions.
- Understands and practices the principles of the Ducommun 6S Program.
- Proficient in basic MS Office skills.
- Must be willing and able to work overtime as necessary.
- Acceptable attendance is an essential function of the position.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required by the position.
- Strong mechanical aptitude required.
- Ability to read and understands travelers.
- Communicates courteously and professionally at all organizational levels.
- Candidate needs to have basic math skills. Simple addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, understanding the decimal system and adding and subtracting fractions is required.
- Ability to interpret instructions furnished in written and oral form.
- Ability to understand and carry out verbal and written instructions and SOPs.
- Reads and understands QP 180.
- Understands Customer specifications pertaining to the manufacturing cell.
- Locates internal and Customer specifications without assistance.
- Team oriented with a continuous improvement and quality outlook.
- Computer Skills - able to learn and navigate new screens, reports, functions, software programs and internal ERP systems.
- Annual baseline hearing test is required.
- Must be able to communicate effectively.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- Occasionally required to sit, stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- Must be able to frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Required Experience/Education/Training/Certifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must possess the outlined experience level, education, training, minimum years of experience, product or industry knowledge plus any certifications in order to be considered.
- High School Diploma or equivalent is required.
- Basic computer skills – email, information search, Microsoft Office preferred.
- Able to meet the requirements of Machinist Assistant.