Midwest Generation LLC, a worldwide leader in the production of electric power has 4 sites in Illinois that generate electricity safely and reliably. Our plants make electricity through burning coal, a fossil fuel. Midwest Generation is one of the largest independent power producers in the United States.
We are seeking qualified candidates for the position of at our Powerton Station located in Pekin, IL. The general requirements and responsibilities are as follows:
Working together under general supervision install, inspect, maintain, and repair work on plant equipment such as boilers, turbines and auxiliary equipment; perform cutting and welding; assist in disassembling and assembling equipment, piping, tubing, and flanges; mount and align equipment to industry standards; use standard measurement and precision tools and devices to close tolerances; is a member of the station's fire brigade or acts as a station fire guide for outside fire departments; perform all activities in accordance with applicable health, safety, and environmental standards; utilize computer and other technology-based work management systems as may be required in performing work duties; perform all activities in a high quality manner to achieve best industry practice; operate standard machine tools, power and hand tools in a safe, effective manner; be able to read and understand technical information such as prints, engineering data, charts, and graphs; perform general cleaning and painting; interact with station personnel, contractors and others to perform MM functions; respond to overtime requests as needed; handle special assignments; and perform other duties as assigned.
- Inspect, service, and maintain machinery and mechanical equipment involving inspecting, diagnosing, dismantling, assembling, modifying, and repairing generators, boilers and auxiliaries, furnaces, pumps, and fuel handling and ash handling systems.
- Plan and coordinate work; instruct, train, and check the work of personnel engaged in maintenance activities.
- Troubleshoot equipment and system problems to determine the root cause and proper corrective action.
- Perform predictive and preventive maintenance activities and equipment performance analysis using diagnostic technologies and portable test equipment.
- Work safely and follow facility and company policies and procedures.
- Utilize correct maintenance practices and procedures to perform detailed equipment inspections; identify part requirement and repair methods; work to close tolerances; make equipment repairs to OEM specifications.
- Complete cutting and welding activities and make pressure welds, as assigned.
- Operate bridge cranes, forklifts or other mobile equipment as required.
- Properly rig and hoist equipment.
- Install, inspect, maintain, and replace pumps and valves, boiler casings and gaskets, pipes, and tubes.
- Prepare work permits and administer the SAFE Access to Plant, or similar systems, as it applies to the equipment for which the Maintenance Mechanic is responsible.
- Maintain equipment and areas in a safe and clean condition.
- Read, interpret, modify, and implement technical information found in manufacturer's technical manuals, electrical and mechanical blueprints, P&ID's, and operating and maintenance procedures.
- Assist other job classifications and departments as may be required.
- Participate in ongoing training to maintain and enhance skills required to perform all Maintenance Mechanic duties and assist in the training of others.
Any combination equivalent to, but not limited to, the following:
- High School degree or equivalent education, valid driver's license, and pass appropriate test.
- Ability to properly use standard and precision tools, equipment, and read, interpret blueprints, plans, and technical instructions.
- 3 -7 years experience related to power plant or other heavy industry operation and maintenance and experience repairing and overhauling mechanical equipment and such related work.
- Journeyman level experience required.
Must have knowledge of job safety requirements, strong verbal and written communications skills, interpersonal skills and possess a demonstrated ability to learn.
Midwest Generation offers a competitive benefits package including comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance, 401(k), pension, life insurance, educational assistance, paid sick leave, holidays and vacation. Pay rates start at $21 per hour.
Midwest Generation is proud to be an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We support and promote diversity in the workplace.
Midwest Generation - 4 months ago