Performs routine, journey level work, under the guidance of experienced Maintenance Specialists, in one or more building maintenance and construction trades such as carpentry, masonry, painting, etc., repair/renovation and/or routine preventative maintenance to facility buildings, residential homes, . Work involves making inspections, adjustments, installations of adaptive equipment, wheelchair ramps, safety equipment, doors, windows, etc., maintaining and repairing buildings, utility systems, and stationary equipment, dependant on the trade involved and operating motorized equipment. Completes paperwork and maintains work order records. Communicates verbally and in writing, possibly using electronic equipment. Works as a team member with other shops and employees. May be required to perform other tasks to include operation of a motor vehicle, making deliveries, picking up supplies, and other incidental tasks. Works under moderate supervision with limited latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Essential Job Functions:
Attends work on a regular and predictable schedule in accordance with agency leave policy and performs other duties as assigned.
1. Performs inspections, adjustments, maintenance and repair work on building systems in accordance with recognized codes and standards for various trades such as plumbing, HVAC, welding, carpentry, painting and electrical. Uses hand tools or equipment while performing repairs or inspections. Follows directions in performance of duties. 25%
2. Performs repairs and renovations to modernize a building, building system or adapt it to new uses. Identifies necessary information such as time required to perform repair/renovation and physical location of necessary repair/renovation. 25%
3. Uses hand tools, power tools, test and safety equipment as necessary to perform needed repairs/renovations/installations. 15%
4. Accurately process and maintain records on work orders, projects and material requisitions.
5. May operate heavy machinery such as backhoes, forklifts, etc. as necessary. 5%
6. May train others on the proper procedures and methods for repairs or inspections. 10%
7. Other duties as assigned 5%
Other duties as assigned include but are not limited to actively participating and/or serving in a supporting role to meet the agency’s obligations for disaster response and/or recovery or Continuity of Operations (COOP) activation. Such participation may require an alternate shift pattern assignment and/or location.
Knowledge Skills Abilities:
Current valid Texas driver’s licensed required
High School graduate or equivalent preferred
Knowledge of the repair, maintenance, operations of buildings, building systems and grounds.
Knowledge of building maintenance, plumbing, HVAC, sanitation, refrigeration, electrical systems.
Knowledge of industrial safety, fire and safety regulations.
Skill in preventive maintenance, inspections of buildings and building systems.
Skill in the use of hand tools, power tools and equipment
Ability to perform maintenance, to follow instructions, and to interpret drawings, schematics, or sketches.
Ability to communicate effectively orally or in writing with other members of the maintenance and facility team.
Registration or Licensure Requirements:
Initial Selection Criteria:
Current valid Texas driver's license. High School graduate or equivalent preferred. Prefer but not require experience operating forklift, commercial driver's license.
All applicants must pass: pre-employment drug screen, fingerprint criminal background check, and Client Abuse/Neglect Reporting System (CANRS), Employee Misconduct Registry and Nurse/Aide Registry checks. Males between the ages of 18 – 25 must be registered with the Selective Service.
All State Supported Living Center employees are subject to Random drug testing.
Flexibility in work hours may be required for this position. The position may be required to work overtime and/or extended hours.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), HHS agencies will provide reasonable accommodation during the hiring and selection process for qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance completing the on-line application, contact the HHS Employee Service Center at 1-888-894-4747. If you are contacted for an interview and need accommodation to participate in the interview process, please notify the person scheduling the interview. req#221281
Texas Department of Family and Protective Services - 30+ days ago