The Maintenance Worker L-2 General Maintenance position involves routine tasks involved in the maintenance and repair of the City's streets, sidewalks, curb/gutters, rights-of-way and storm water systems. The work requires regular contacts with Public Works employees and with other City employees and periodic contacts with contractors and the general public. The physical demands are considerable requiring working with heavyweight materials, equipment and machinery. The working conditions are disagreeable due to continuous exposure to elements such as dust, heat, fumes, cold, noise, vibration and moisture. The incumbents work independently and the work is subject to general policy direction, practices and procedures, under general supervisory review. Incumbents may direct the work of others. Incumbents work various shifts and mandatory overtime as needed.
Examples of Duties:
- Directs the work of others as necessary.
- Maintains a variety of records relating to inspections and maintenance activities.
- Performs required labor involved in the maintenance and repair of the City's streets, rights-of-way and storm water systems including leaf and snow removal.
- Ensures proper maintenance of equipment and tools by cleaning and checking equipment and tools after use.
- Drives trucks of various sizes and weights in the loading, hauling, and unloading of various equipment and materials.
- Determines the locations of gas, telephone, power, television, water and sewer lines from the appropriate sources prior to excavation.
- May contact residents and business owners in the area where services will be affected by work of general maintenance crew.
- Finishing concrete, asphalt removal and replacement, sets forms and light carpentry work.
- Loads and unloads stone, gravel, dirt, asphalt, timber, and heavy equipment.
- Digs trenches and holes for roadway and ditch repairs, fills holes with dirt and levels bumps and low places using shovel, hand tamper and rake.
- Mixes concrete, helps tie and set reinforcing steel and performs other manual labor tasks in support of brick, stone, asphalt and concrete work.
- Sweeps, shovels, rakes leaves, picks up litter and cuts, trims and loads brush, using hand or chain saws.
- Performs a range of leafing tasks in season.
- May direct the work of temporary leafing workers.
- Cleans and repairs gutters, catch basins, sewers, culverts, retaining walls and other drainage. structures.
- Installs and removes signs and sign posts and installs pavement markings.
- Follows and enforces recommended safety practices and uses appropriate traffic safety devices such as cones, arrow boards and flagging signs.
- Operates and assists in the maintenance of vehicles and equipment such as backhoe, front-end loader, flusher truck/vacuum truck, bobcat with various attachments, gradall, asphalt roller and dump truck.
- Operates and maintains equipment such as jackhammer, chipper, chain saw, and other hand tools, etc.
- Assists with the installation of trench shoring devices.
- Operates power and hand tools as needed to accomplish the work.
- Performs emergency inspections and repairs such as snow/ice removal, storm clean-up, street repair, etc.
- Assists and fills in for other general maintenance workers when necessary.
- Performs snow and leaf removal.
- Performs other duties as required.
In order to qualify for this position applicants must demonstrate possession of all the training, experience and required licenses, as a well as demonstrate a practical knowledge, skills and abilities that would allow the applicant to perform this job in a successful manner. This will be determined through review of the formal application, rating of education and experience, and where appropriate, the interview, reference and background checks, and may include job related skills assessment.
Graduation from high school or any combination of training and experience substantially equivalent to a high school diploma. Two years of experience in labor involved in construction and maintenance projects as part of a general maintenance crew, including maintenance and repair of the City's streets, rights-of-way and storm water systems including leaf and snow removal. Possession of a valid motor vehicle class CDL operator's license with tanker and trailer endorsements.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of general labor, tools, equipment operation and practices required in the maintenance and repair of the City's streets, right-of-ways and storm water systems including leaf and snow removal.
- Some knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions for the proper execution and usage of a variety of equipment and power tools.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to handle and operate light and heavy hand and power equipment.
- Ability to independently perform laborer, and semiskilled duties
- Ability to determine electrical, mechanical and plumbing malfunctions and to make minor repairs on such equipment.
- Ability to read and interpret written instructions and operation manuals.
- Ability to read and interpret maps.
- Ability and willingness to perform other duties as assigned; including but not limited to snow removal, storm debris clean-up, and other emergencies at times other than regularly scheduled work hours.
City of Rockville - 10 months ago