Lead Coach - Mobile Makerspace - NOVA Programs
We’re presently developing makerspaces at progressive homeschool enrichment centers in Northern Virginia. We’re looking for exceptional coaches - creators, designers, tinkerers, and artists - who can develop workshop-ready solutions to interesting challenges - building big, making things go, hacking Lego, and inventing the toys of tomorrow. Based on open-ended project descriptions, you develop the plans, we provide the support and materials so you can confidently make awesome things happen. The results: young people who create exciting, whimsical, structures, vehicles and creatures, and can explan how they work and why.
Blended grades 1&2, blended grades 3-6.
Minimum 8, maximum 15.
You will receive significant support and coaching from our core team. In large workshops, you will work with another coach and co-instruct. FutureMakers provides all ongoing training, materials, technology, technical support and troubleshooting.
Varies by location, between 10:00 AM and 6:00 PM. Scheduled prep / setup and breakdown time included. We do not operate on holidays.
Part time. 15-20 hours per week.
$20/ hr+, depending on experience.
January 6, 2014
- Readiness to apply your skills as an educator and maker to plan, acquire materials, prep, and present workshops using your own twist on our scope.
- Must be adaptable, flexible, and enthusiastic while interacting with groups of homeschool students in a high energy setting
- Ability to assess your progress and troubleshoot challenges.
- Ability to work collaboratively with an instructional assistant.
- Reliable personal transportation - no sites are accessible by public transportation.
Our teaching philosophy and approach to experiential learning:
- 1+ years of in-classroom experience, educators encouraged to apply.
- Familiarity with Maker Education and STEAM.
- Description or images of your skills as a maker - engineer, technologist, tinkerer, woodworker, fabricator, sculptor, visual artist or craftsperson.
- Excellent interpersonal skills - with youth, peers, supervisors and parents.
- References that tell your story as a coach / maker - your students, supervisors or other instructors.
- Successful completion of a screening task - see our question section.
We're committed to supporting coaches who constantly think about how to make learning by doing more effective, and have the ambition to do it. Other than just experience and skills, here’s what we’re looking for in all of our instructors:
Website: The FutureMakers!
- Certainty and Open Mindedness: How do you confidently problem solve with instead of for young makers?
- Organization, Anticipation and Clarity: How do you develop clear plans to anticipate different needs in a busy hands-on setting?
FutureMakers - 13 months ago