PacBio is revolutionizing DNA sequencing, and is seeking a talented individual for an exceptional career opportunity. The position will have a unique opportunity to participate in building and managing a world-class Field Service organization from the ground up. This includes our strategy, processes, metrics, and tools.
Our ideal candidate is a well-rounded top performer who can be a key contributor in a high-energy growth environment. Because this is a start-up environment, the candidate must demonstrate the ability to smoothly transition back-and-forth between a “hands-on, willing to get my hands dirty” mode and a “senior management delegation and empowerment” mode.
As the leader of the Asia Pacific Field Service team, this position’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Provide leadership of and motivation to the PacBio Asia Pacific FSE team as well as our Distributor service partner’s teams. As a member of the overall Asia Management team you will work closely with the other members in defining strategy and implementation of plans to meet the goals of the region.
• Direct management of Asia Field Service Engineers’ activities in order to provide superior customer service to PacBio customers.
• Coordinate Asia Field Service Engineering activities with headquarters service and support management.
• Evaluate and propose improvements to existing service and training methods.
• Interacts with customers and distributors in a management capacity to resolve issues, sponsor projects, provide technical support, and build relationships.
• Ensures timely and effective resolution to customer problems and issues. Ensures that all customer calls/cases are properly received, logged, and tracked until resolution. Ensures calls/cases are resolved within company targeted SLAs.
• Work with distributors to insure compliance with the above service documentation requirements.
• Partner with Director of Global Service to resolve supply issues, minimize cost implications and to ensure timely scheduling, shipment and delivery of products to market. This includes timely and efficient supply of spare parts from Menlo Park.
• Works with department, company and customer staff to continuously improve customer service and develop and maintain the highest level of customer satisfaction.
• Visits customers and distributors with the focus of building and maintaining strong working relationships ensuring Pacific Biosciences is meeting customer needs from a support and services delivery perspective.
• Coordinate Distributor's FSE trainings and ensure they are properly trained and provide feedback on performance and continuous improvement programs
• Ensures company objectives and customer expectations are aligned.
• Minimize instrument down time, investigate complaints, and provide scheduled maintenance, upgrades, and training.
• Establishing best practices, metrics and systems to efficiently track instrument status, field activities, and customer satisfaction.
• Developing and implementing training programs for Field Service Engineers by working locally but in synergy with Menlo Park.
• Responsible for staffing and performance management activities including the setting of department objectives, individual objectives and staff development plans and the timely completion of employee evaluations; quarterly, yearly, and as needed.
• Responsible for leading periodic customer service reviews; establishing and publishing relevant and accurate customer service reports.
• Documenting feedback on product performance and customer satisfaction to facilitate the continuous improvement of products and services.
• Communicates regularly with others outside the team and represents the team in providing avenues of investigation and solutions on projects.
• Ensure proper inventory levels of service parts are maintained in region and make appropriate changes as needed. This will be determined by the facilities at the European office.
• Mentor and train staff members and foster a healthy team environment through coaching, performance management, career development, and allocation and prioritization of work.
• Ensure compliance with relevant Environmental, Health and Safety rules and regulations to ensure safety of all field (service) personnel.
• Coordinate and manage service stocks in various locations throughout Asia.
• Provide weekly report to Asia and Global Service management.
FIELD SERVICE OPERATIONS
• Drive design for serviceability rigor in partnership with product management, manufacturing, quality and development; ensure cross-functional visibility to field-related issues.
• Build and refine key processes and service strategies to meet customer and distributor needs in Asia.
• Manage customer escalation support across Asia through Tech support when necessary.
• Ensure in house and distributor Field Engineers are equipped with the tools and expertise required to deliver superior service to our customers.
• Participate with cross-functional steering committees for new product initiatives, providing input on key service deliverables at each development phase or milestone.
• Proven success directing global Field Service Engineering and Operational teams with a leading biotech company (a breadth of experience servicing instrumentation and software).
• A minimum of 10 years’ experience in a service engineering role.
• Experience working with 3rd party distributors as primary customer contacts for service and support is highly desirable.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills for dealing with all levels of the organization.
• Strong people management skills, able to build a team with a distributed field workforce.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Strong project management skills.
• Self-starter and a team player who will thrive in an entrepreneurial environment.
• A proven track record of delivering on commitments within timeline and budget.
• A clear understanding of quality, regulatory and clinical standards is a plus.
• Technical degree a must, preferably an advanced degree in engineering discipline.
• Extensive global experience, with a knowledge and appreciation of various world cultures.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including presentations and reports. (English is a must).
• Excellent analytical troubleshooting and problem solving skills..
• Extensive travel required.
• Proficient with computer software and hardware, including Windows and Linux OS, real-time processing systems, disk arrays and Ethernet architecture.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Experience with life sciences instrumentation, especially DNA sequencing technology, a significant plus.
Pacific Biosciences’ mission is to transform the way humankind acquires, processes and interprets data from living systems through the...