Job Title: Manager – Financial Accounting
Reports To: Assistant Director – Financial Reporting
Department: Financial Accounting
Salary range: Starting at $74,526.40
FLSA Status: Exempt
Number of Openings: 1
Accepting Applications : 07/03/2013 until filled
SUMMARY: This position manages all activities of the Financial Accounting unit.
1. Oversees the accurate and timely preparation and validation of monthly internal financial statements and associated reconciliations. Oversees preparation of analytic reviews to validate key account relationships.
2. Oversees the accurate and timely preparation of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report and Popular Annual Financial Report, in compliance with GASB pronouncements and the reporting requirements of the Government Finance Officers Association. Evaluates reporting changes to address new GASB pronouncements, changes implemented by OPERS leadership or legislative mandates.
3. Coordinates preparation of the financial schedules for the annual CEM report, a pension system benchmarking service. Ensures reported data reconciles to internal financial records.
4. Provides external audit support in conjunction with the internal audit department. Prepares or coordinates the preparation of auditor requested schedules.
5. Manages daily banking activities including reconciling account balance, cash management, and problem resolution.
6. Manages the accounts payable function including the creation of 1099M for applicable vendors.
7. Oversees the reconciliation of travel information and the preparation of required information for board of directors and staff reporting to the Ohio Ethics Commission.
8. Assures the Financial Accounting departments’ compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and accounting standards. Assures the placement of and compliance of internal controls as they relate to the functions of the Financial Accounting department.
9. Assesses the impact of new legislation and implements necessary changes in accounting policies, procedures or internal controls as a result.
10. Evaluates and assesses new technology as it relates to the functions under the Financial Accounting department’s purview. Coordinates system changes with IT and other affected divisions.
11. Evaluates and implements changes to processes and procedures to improve efficiency and enhance the reliability of financial data.
12. Reports to management regarding financial performance and identifies significant trends.
1. Manages the development, implementation, and administration of OPERS’ processes within a functional area.
2. Establishes Service Level Agreements (SLAs), metrics, and measures to assure accurate completion of tasks and delivery of customer service.
3. Assists Assistant Director or Director in short- and long-term planning.
4. Provides leadership and is a role model to management staff.
5. Recruits and develops direct reports and consistently provides timely feedback through coaching and mentorship.
6. Partners with human resources on workforce planning, compliance, performance management, and corrective action.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS*
- High school diploma or GED • Required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance / Accounting • Required
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as financial and legal documents, policy and procedure manuals, GASB pronouncements • Required
- Strong communication skills – oral and written • Required
- Ability to communicate concepts and accounting terminology to non-accounting personnel • Required
- Ability to apply complex mathematical concepts to such tasks as trend analysis, probability statistics, and key analytics • Required
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience with accounting methods and best practices • Required
- Experience in public sector environment • Preferred
- A minimum of 5 years’ supervisory experience • Preferred
- Progressively increasing management responsibility • Preferred
- Project management skills • Required
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, skills and responsibilities required. OPERS retains the right to make changes to the posting dates at any time.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disability to perform the essential functions.