Posting Title |
Manager R&D - Clustering and Distributed Storage
VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable our more than 350,000 enterprise and SMB customers to thrive in the Cloud Era by simplifying, automating and transforming the way they build, deliver and consume Information Technologies. Our team of 11,000+ people working in 50+ locations worldwide is committed to building a community where great people want to work long term by living our values of passion, innovation, execution, teamwork, active learning and giving back. If you are ready to accelerate, innovate and lead, join us as we challenge constraints and problem solve for tomorrow today. Learn more at www.vmware.com/careers.
Why work for our Division
VMware’s world-class, award-winning R&D team is comprised of thousands of top-notch computer scientists and software engineers that are transforming computing through virtualization. Members of the R&D team voice their creative ideas and watch them become initiatives, participate in exciting short-term and long-term products on the VMware roadmap, initiate advanced research projects, and/or write and test code that ships. At VMware, our engineers continue to learn and grow by working with top professionals from around the world and recent graduates of top universities and by taking advantage of our extensive internal training opportunities and generous external education assistance program. R&D team members work on the latest computing equipment and have access to the ACM and IEEE libraries. VMware has R&D offices in: Silicon Valley; Cambridge, MA; Broomfield, CO; Sofia, Bulgaria; Aarhus, Denmark; London, UK; Herzliya, Israel; Bangalore, India; and Beijing, China.
Job Description: The Datacenter Platform organization is responsible for vSphere, our Core Virtualization Infrastructure, and Solutions for Enterprise Virtualization.
As the Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for providing deep technical expertise on our next generation storage initiatives. In addition to technical architecture support, the manager will collaborate with Engineering and Product Management to distill customer needs into use-cases and requirements, work within VMware to highlight solutions requirements for the vSphere storage platform, and work with key VMware technical leaders to influence and execute vSphere storage initiatives.
- Provide technical leadership for next generation storage platform technology
- Work with the Engineering and Product Management organizations to establish and deliver the product road-map
- Innovate and develop new storage and storage management technologies
- Assist in technically managing initial storage implementations including proof-of-concepts and pilots
- Mentor and lead a strong team of developers
- Maintain deep technical and business knowledge of storage platform industry directions and trends
- Work collaboratively with Engineering and Product Management during the development, launch, and continuing refinement of VMware storage related technologies
- Document best practices and architectural references in developing and deploying product solutions
- 6+ years of storage platform architecture experience with significant knowledge around designing, implementing, and managing critical cross-functional integration projects
- 4+ years of people management experience is required for this role
- Multiple years of experience in developing storage kernel modules and management software
- Strong knowledge in storage technology and protocols
- Knowledge of FileSystems and Clustering will be a huge plus.
- Ability to see and present "the big picture" and offer solutions to make it better
- Track record of mentoring and leading development teams
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral are required
- Graduate of Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, related field or equivalent experience
Palo Alto, CA, US
Is this a remote or multiple location position?
VMware - 18 months ago
VMware, Inc.is a company providing virtualization software founded in 1998 and based in Palo Alto, California, USA. It is majority owned by...