The Center for School Improvement (The Center) will be operated by the American Institutes for Research (AIR) in partnership with the Illinois State Board of Education. The Center will provide coordination of the Statewide System Of Support (SSOS), including the various regional improvement efforts under ISBE’s existing network to ensure that schools receive expert, timely and relevant assistance with an emphasis on closing the achievement gap. The Center will collaborate with the Regional Offices of Education, Intermediate Services Centers, Chicago Public Schools and other important state partners to deliver services through the state’s established regional delivery system. The Center Manager for Regional Supports will be charged with overseeing the implementation of regionally based statewide system of support services in each of the ten regions of Illinois as provided by Regional Assistant Directors and District Assistance Teams.
• Lead a team of ten Regional Assistant Directors in implementing Center supports to districts throughout the state targeted at building district capacity to improve supports to schools specifically in dramatically reducing the largest within-school gaps in achievement or largest within-school gaps in graduation rates at the high school level between the highest performing student group(s) and the lowest performing student group(s) for any of the following groups when compared to their counterpart group: racial and ethnic minority students, English language learners (ELLs), students with disabilities (SWD), or low-income students;
• Serve as a member of the Center’s senior leadership team responsible for strategic planning of the Center’s implementation, review and monitoring of regional support services for quality and impact, and supervision and development of Center support staff;
• Use data analysis and strategic planning to assess statewide and regional support needs and respond with appropriate staffing and deployment of District Assistance Teams (DATs), coaches and interventionists;
• Oversee the design and implementation of statewide supports for regional service areas including analyzing progress, identifying service gaps, regional needs, and recommendations for improvement;
• Support the comprehensive implementation of Rising Star, an online continuous improvement tool housed on the Illinois Interactive Report Card (IIRC) for quality district and school continuous improvement planning across the state;
• Working collaboratively with the entities of the SSOS to align and coordinate services based on levels of need and differentiated accountability for districts and schools;
• Communicate regularly with the Center staff as well as the statewide team of Regional Assistant Directors to ensure coordination and effective delivery of services ;
• Use technology in new and creative ways (including electronic mail, essential user applications, web-based resources and data entry, and other venues) to increase communication across the region and the state;
• Maintain regular and ongoing communication and prepare reports for the Center Director, Center Manager for Regional Support Unit and the team of Regional Assistant Directors, the Deputy Superintendent and the ISBE Roundtable;
• Communicate regularly with the Center staff as well as the statewide team of Regional Assistant Directors to ensure coherence, coordination, and effective delivery of services;
• Conduct reviews of SSOS services and determine effectiveness of programs, practices, and policies.
• Master’s degree in education or education related field required; Doctorate preferred.
• 5 to 10 years of experience in the field of education required, with K-12 administrative and teaching experience preferred.
• A minimum of 4 years of experience working in a consultant and/or coaching capacity required with demonstrated knowledge in one or more areas: school/district improvement, turnaround/transformation, ELL, racial/ethnic diversity and/or children in poverty.
• Experience with designing, implementing and overseeing implementation of improvement supports for low performing districts and schools.
• Experience leading teams through direct supervision, facilitation and through the creation of targeted professional development.
• Experience with continuous improvement planning processes and knowledge of research-based effective practices.
• Experience in using data to inform strategic initiatives and implementation.
• Expert facilitation, oral and written communication skills.
American Institutes for Research - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard
The American Institutes for Research (AIR) lives and breathes to enhance human performance. The not-for-profit organization conducts...