The National Education Association (NEA) is America’s oldest and largest organization committed to advancing the cause of public education. Headquartered in Washington, DC, NEA proudly claims more than 3 million members and strives to improve the quality of teaching, increase student achievement, and make schools safer and better places to learn.
The NEA seeks applications for its Manager, Enterprise Systems, Analysis and Planning. The Manager serves as a member of the management team as a thought leader and senior-level contributor to the ITS Department in the areas of information systems architecture, design, implementation, and project planning. The individual collaborates with the management team to estimate requirements, prioritize projects and communicate with key stakeholders. This position reports directly to the Director of Information Technology Services.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, systems analysis or a related field of study, or equivalent experience.
- Seven years of experience in at least two IT disciplines (such as technical architecture, network management, application development, middleware, information analysis, database management or operations) in a multitier environment, with at a minimum of five years of leadership experience in managing multiple, large, cross-functional teams or projects, including direct supervisory oversight.
- Design, develop, and test J2EE or .Net based web applications covering document and content management, digital asset management and XML management.
- Strong knowledge of service-oriented architectures, web services, XML, design standards (i.e. – secure code, 508 Compliance), OpenText web site management, and mobile device programming.
- Special-purpose software programming in modern tools such as Microsoft.NET and SharePoint combined with data manipulation and reporting tools such as Oracle, MySQL, MS-SQL, Cognos and Crystal Enterprise.
- Strong knowledge of service-oriented architectures, web services, XML, design standards (i.e. – secure code, 508 Compliance), and related technologies.
- Three (3) to four (4) years’ experience with SharePoint technologies, databases, and Web-related technology, Web parts, and SharePoint Designer and administration and development.
- Knowledge of classic ASP and VBScript legacy technologies. Knowledge of XML, XSD, XSLT or Xquery a plus.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including teamwork, facilitation and negotiation.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Excellent analytical and technical skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Basic knowledge of financial models and budgeting.
- Familiarity with basic graphical modeling approaches, tools and model repositories.
- Understanding of the political climate of the enterprise and how to navigate the politics.
- Ability to balance the long-term ("big picture") and short-term implications of individual decisions.
- Ability to apply multiple solutions to business problems.
- Ability to rapidly comprehend the functions and capabilities of new technologies.
- Demonstrated experience in leading, mentoring, and developing a team of systems and programming staff; creating an excellent working environment.
- Responsible for on-time delivery of high-quality products and services aimed at modernizing, consolidating, and coordinating the enterprise applications within and across the enterprise.
- Applies advanced technology knowledge and skills in assessing technical requirements and develops innovative and effective solutions to problems and project requests.
- Manages team of direct-reports and consultants in the delivery of products and services through the full system development life cycle, responsible for the software design, development, and maintenance of enterprise systems and products. The team may be comprised of project coordinators, developers, tech lead, and business analyst.
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining key performance indicators and service level objectives for products and service delivery.
- Oversees the creation, monitoring and testing of business continuance procedures for new systems, ensures response to system failures, and is proactive in building continuous improvement processes to minimize/eliminate downtime.
- Identifies how existing applications, legacy systems, databases, and Web applications (which may be currently operating on multiple platforms) work together to meet the new and emerging enterprise requirements.
- Understands, advocates, and augments the principles of information technology strategies
- Develops and maintains standards for software development. This includes project initiation, software design, software development, deployment, and support processes.
- Encourages a high degree of collaboration with business partners, external entities, and ITS colleagues in the design and development of NEA solutions.
- Ensures that the technical environments and work outputs of the development team are appropriately scoped, designed, implemented, and maintained.
- Ensures project resources are planned for, identified, and allocated appropriately to meet the project requirements on time, on budget, and on quality.
- Communicates and consults on an ongoing basis with project stakeholders, ITS management and upper level management concerning the status, risks and alignment of plans with what is being delivered.
- Analyzes enterprise business drivers to determine corresponding change requirements.
- Analyzes technology industry and market trends, and determine their potential impact on the enterprise.
- Facilitates the evaluation and selection of software product standards, as well as the design of standard software configurations.
- Consults with application or infrastructure development projects to fit systems or infrastructure to architecture, and identify when it is necessary to modify the solution architecture to accommodate project needs.
- Documents all solution architecture design and analysis work.
- Responsible for optimizing business performance by enhancing the alignment between business processes and information technology.
- Recruits and retains a high-quality, motivated, and high-performing team of software and systems developers and a welcoming work environment.