This position is responsible for the management of Human Resources functions for assigned location(s), ensuring the efficient delivery of HR support to include new hire orientation, selection/de-selection, performance management, associate relations, communication planning, talent assessment (external and internal), and coaching/facilitation. This position establishes and maintains business partnerships and Human Resources support to location leadership teams.
This position may be assigned a single large facility or multiple small facilities, dependent upon the HR to associate ratio, the span of geography and the complexity of the facility leadership structure.
- Ensures the effective delivery of HR transactions for the assigned associates and leadership teams through the HR Services Center. Interacts with HR specialists as required.
- Responsible for the delivery of Field HR services to assigned location associates and leadership teams, including new hire orientation, selection/de-selection, performance management, associate relations, communication planning, talent assessment (both new hires and current associates), coaching and facilitation.
- Partners with GOMs/DSMs to drive effective workforce planning including planning and forecasting talent needs. Participates in candidate sourcing, assessment and selection as appropriate.
- Develops effective relationships with business partners and supports their needs in a manner consistent with overall Company and functional objectives. Coaches and counsels GOMs/DSMs on tactical issues and sensitive associate relations issues. Assists in the coaching and development of local leadership.
- Promotes solid associate relations in a union-free work environment using Associate Relations Plans coupled with effective Total Communication Plans. Proactively identifies issues and concerns and creates/implements corrective plans of action.
- Promotes positive associate relations by visiting Company facilities, conducting Associate Relations Reviews, and monitoring Facility Health Indicator tools.
- Understands employee population and how HR can provide value added services. Ensures the effective implementation of HR plans, projects and programs to positively impact the results of their assigned locations,
- Supports HR functional excellence, both locally and across organizational boundaries. Supports the performance of the facility via training, coaching, and development.
- Act as liaison between Field/FSC HR leadership and the facility.
- Coordinates and conducts effective training programs as directed. Identifies training and development needs of associates supported.
- Participates as a key member on Local Business Team as assigned. Supports and promotes the Company’s Diversity initiatives at assigned facility/facilities and ensures compliance.
- Provides facility-level support regarding the Company’s compensation and benefits practices. Ensures internal equity and that compensation practices are market competitive.
- Supports facility Safety initiatives.
- Understands the local business and how HR can provide value added services.
- Maintains effective labor relations in union facilities through relationship management. Helps the GOM develop his/her leadership team to effectively manage in a union environment (proactive rather than reactive). Participates on the company’s labor contract negotiations team as appropriate. Interprets and appropriately applies language in the union contract and notes apparent discrepancies between contract terms and company policies/procedures. Communicates and implements requisite changes in union contract at impacted locations. Builds and sustains an effective working relationship with the union’s officials and the union stewards. Participates in Labor-Management meetings.
- Understands and demonstrates United Stationers' Core Values.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Knowledge of labor, wage and hour laws, including EEOC, AA, ADA, FLSA, etc.
- Excellent organizational skills required; ability to multi-task and prioritize is critical for success.
- Ability to demonstrate discretion and business ethics.
- Ability to establish trust and credibility with associates at all levels in the organization.
- Ability to operate with integrity and fairness; with ability to uphold USI Code of Conduct.
- Solid computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite and HRIS.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- Three years of experience in a fast-paced, plant-location human resources environment required; five years of experience preferred.
- Certification in the Human Resources field is beneficial, i.e., PHR.
United Stationers - 22 months ago
Don't think that United Stationers is just another paper pusher. The company is a leading wholesale distributor of office supplies and...