Scope and Purpose:|
In a learning capacity, to be responsible, under the supervision of the property manager, for all phases of the operation of the properties, including, but not limited to, the general administration and maintenance of the physical property; and to see that the properties are maintained at all times and in good physical condition with a stabilized fiscal operation.
This job requires that you be flexible with your schedule. Monday â€“Thursday office hours are 8:30 amâ€“ 5:30 pm and Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. However, you may find yourself staying late to make a showing or coming to work early to make a meeting at the corporate headquarters. Open houses will be your responsibility if your property is not at a 96% occupancy rate. This means either you or one of your staff members will have to work Saturday from 11 am â€“ 4 pm. Each manager is also responsible to be on-call for 1 week every 2 months. During your on-call period the customer service representatives will contact you if there is a major emergency at any of the properties managed by Lloyd Companies. Managers-in-Training also have leasing responsibilities on properties beyond the properties they are assigned to. At least one weekend a month, and some evenings you will be required to take the leasing line and handle apartment showings at multiple sites.
Reports To: Property Manager
Under the supervision of the supervisor, this person will learn the supervision responsibilities for:
- All on-site staff
- Maintenance Personnel
- Regional Manager
- Leasing Manager
- Property Manager
- Property Accounting
- Human Resources
- Purchasing agent
- Corporate Personnel
Job Output (Scope and Purpose)
- Residents & Prospective Residents
- Current or Prospective Owners/Investors
Managers-in-Training, under the supervision of the Property Manager are responsible for seeing that units are leased, that residents are retained, that net operating income meets or exceeds projections, and that the property is effectively maintained within budgeted parameters. Managers-in-Training, under the supervision of the Leasing Manager are responsible for showing and renting units at properties other than the one(s) to which they are assigned.
Primary Responsibilities (under the direction of the Property Manager):
Manage the property - Duties
1. Ensure that the property records are accurately maintained (lease and general files)
2. Complete all required reports in an accurate and timely manner.
3. Inspect property regularly to ensure that it is well maintained and has good curb appeal.
4. Supervise outside contractors working on the property.
5. Distribute petty cash funds and request reimbursement.
6. Maintain work orders on all maintenance requests and respond to those requests.
7. Work with purchasing agent to ensure best prices on goods and services
8. Ensure that apartments are cleaned and made-ready after move-outs
9. Perform after hours duties as required.
Collect Security Deposits and Rents â€“ Duties
1. Collect rents and other monies due the property and institute proper procedures against delinquent accounts
2. Initiate eviction procedures for those residents who fail to pay rent.
3. Maintain accurate records of rent collection.
4. Scan checks as part of daily bank deposits.
5. Collect security deposit from residents and record date and time of collection.
6. Calculate any escalation to be charged to residents or any other charges that are designated in the lease.
Maintain High Levels of Resident Satisfaction
(Ensure that residents are satisfied as indicated by a high level of renewals and few complaints) - Duties:
1. Regularly seek to understand and anticipate what residents need.
2. Inspect property two or three times per week including periodic visits to all residents.
3. Assist new residents moving in by notifying them of community procedures, parking, hours, night access, mail, etc.
4. Ensure that residents are provided with clean, safe and well maintained homes.
5. Coordinate with Property Manager renewal and retention strategy.
Marketing and Leasing (Achieve targeted occupancy levels for the property) - Duties
1. With assistance from Marketing Director and Property Manager, market the property and build traffic.
2. Promote the property to prospective residents.
3. Negotiate new leases and renewals per specifications of the property owner and Multi-Site Manager.
4. Coordinate with Marketing Director and Multi-Site Manager on the property's marketing strategy.
5. Work with Leasing Manager to promote and lease all Lloyd Company properties
Supervise and Build and Effective Team - Duties
1. Achieve cooperation among staff and other departments while building trust and loyalty to the company.
2. Work towards developing staff for upward mobility within the company.
3. Collect, approve and forward personnel time sheets each pay period.
Develop and Implement Budget - Duties
1. Work with Property Manager to understand the budget process and assist where applicable
And Any Other Duties Assigned
In the absence of the Property Manager and/or under the direction of the Property Manager, directly supervises two to four employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Skills, Knowledge and personal Characteristics
The following skills, knowledge and personal characteristics are desirable for job success:
1. Certification as a resident manager
2. Ability to supervise a staff of 2-4.
3. Sales experience
4. Ability to communicate effectively.
5. Safety conscious.
6. Preference for working with others.
7. Ability to assert yourself.
8. Preference for detail work.
9. Ability to work well under pressure and deadlines.
10. Self-motivation and self-direction.
11. Ability to work without direct supervision.
12. Pleasing personality and ability to work with and understand the problems and attitudes of prospects, residents, and fellow employees.
13. Good attitude, interest, enthusiasm.
14. Valid driver's license and good driving record.
15. Common sense and judgment in day-to-day matters.
16. High School diploma or equivalent.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Project Management - Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manages project team activities.
Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
Change Management - Develops workable implementation plans; Communicates changes effectively; Builds commitment and overcomes resistance; Prepares and supports those affected by change; Monitors transition and evaluates results.
Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
Diversity - Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; educates others on the value of diversity; promotes a harassment-free environment.
Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; Benefits organization through outside activities; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals. Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Initiative - Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
Associates Degree or Bachelor's degree preferred in business related field.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, and EXCEL. YARDI software knowledge a PLUS!
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands and fingers, stand; walk; sit and climb stairs. The employee is occasionally required to handle, reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, and crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; outside weather conditions; extreme cold and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Opportunity for Advancement:
With appropriate qualifications, experience, and attitude.
THIS JOB SPECIFICATION SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED TO IMPLY THAT THESE REQUIREMENTS ARE THE EXCLUSIVE STANDARDS OF THE POSITION. INCUMBENTS WILL FOLLOW ANY OTHER INSTRUCTIONS, AND PERFORM ANY OTHER RELATED DUTIES, AS MAY BE REQUIRED BY THEIR SUPERVISOR.