In addition to a competitive salary range of up to the mid $100,000's (based on qualifications, skills and abilities), Chelan PUD employees also enjoy outstanding benefits which include the option of a zero cost medical plan (medical, dental and vision for all eligible dependents), short and long-term disability, Washington State Public Employee's Retirement System, Deferred Compensation (with company matching funds up to 5%), 11 holidays and initial personal leave accrual at 27 days per year. Relocation assistance is available.
Although the position is Open Until Filled , applicants are encouraged to apply immediately.
A statement of interest, resume and current salary information is required ; to be considered, combine these materials into one document and upload electronically when requested through the online application process.
Interested parties are invited to contact Ruth Erwert, Recruiting Manager, at LinkedIn, (509) 661-4540, or email@example.com to discuss the position. Additional information is also available in the upper right-hand corner "Position Brochure".
Plans, leads, organizes, controls, and directs the District’s human resources and employee safety and health functions. Through subordinate managers and a director, oversees programs, policies, and procedures for recruiting, compensation, benefits, organizational development, HRMS, labor relations, employee relations, payroll, affirmative action, and employee safety and health. Leads the District’s labor negotiations and labor relations efforts. Investigates problems incidental to sound and uniform personnel administration, such as working conditions, disciplinary actions, and employee and applicant appeals and grievances. Provides counsel to the General Manager regarding human capital strategies. This position is a member of the Senior Management Team and reports to the General Manager (Steve Wright, former BPA Administrator). The incumbent works closely with other executive level positions to develop and implement District wide strategies.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function of the job satisfactorily. Essential functions (EF) are those activities that, if not performed, would significantly and fundamentally alter the position. Secondary functions (SF) are activities not fundamental to the job and may need to be relaxed to accommodate an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability.
1. EF 50% Provide leadership and direction for all functional areas of Human Resources and Safety, including compensation, benefits, organizational development, HRMS, labor relations, employee relations, payroll, affirmative action and employee safety and health. Ensure delivery of quality and timely customer service, effective employee relations, and compliance with applicable employment laws and regulations. Develop and administer human capital strategies, policies, work plans and budgets.
2. EF 10% Supervise Human Resources and Safety department staff directly and through subordinate supervisors, including performance management, employee development, hiring, discipline, etc. Oversee the department planning and budgeting processes.
3. EF 25% Manage both the strategic and day-to-day aspects of the labor relations program including the investigation and disposition of grievances, representing the District in the labor/management and arbitration process and acting as the Chief Negotiator during contract bargaining.
4. EF 15% Act as a member of the Senior Management Team providing operational direction and policy management recommendations for the District. Contributes to the development and achievement of district wide strategic objectives. Provide governance support to the General Manager and the Board of Commissioners. Models District values, setting the tone for all employees and leading by example. Participate in team or committee assignments as directed by the General Manager. Attend Board meetings and other outside agency meetings as required.
5. EF (Ongoing) Maintain regular and predictable attendance. Perform related duties and responsibilities as required. Complete all required training. Maintain a working knowledge and comply with District safety procedures and specific safety requirements of this position, and those in accordance with applicable provisions of the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) and Washington Administrative Code (WAC).
6. EF (Ongoing) Will be required to drive a motorized vehicle while conducting business on behalf of the District.
Manages two subordinate supervisors who supervise a total of eleven employees in the Human Resources and Safety departments. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Also directly supervises six non-supervisory employees (including labor relations manager). Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The qualifications listed below are representative of those required, but reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Education: Bachelor's degree (B. S., B. A.) in Business Administration with an emphasis on Human Resource Management and Labor Relations or other related field or equivalent combination of education and experience. Master's degree or Juris Doctor degree with emphasis in labor and employment relations or Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) certification is preferred.
Experience: Typically requires ten (10) years of progressively responsible and demonstrated successful experience in human resource management, including four (4) years at the strategic/managerial level in Human Resources, Labor Relations including collective bargaining experience in a leadership role, and Employee Relations programs. Experience with represented workforces required. Experience managing employee safety and health programs is preferred.
Specific KSA's: A fully skilled incumbent will have the following specific knowledge, skills, and abilities:
Demonstrated knowledge and ability to provide human resource products and services, such as: effective recruiting/interviewing, labor relations, employee compensation and benefits, employee relations, employee records, HR policy development, conflict resolution, conducting investigations, and an understanding of District policies and procedures. This position also requires a demonstrated knowledge of pertinent federal/state employment laws including FMLA, ADA, NLRA, ADEA, FLSA, and HIPAA, etc., and their application in the administration of effective and legally compliant human resources programs. Requires the ability to develop and prioritize District wide goals and objectives. Also requires the ability to develop and implement effective and measurable business unit strategic and operational plans that align with District goals and objectives.
Requires a customer-focused HR professional effective in challenging traditional paradigms when necessary with an ability to work independently in a fast paced environment. The ability to effectively mediate and facilitate resolution of conflict situations is necessary. Requires high tolerance for stress and the ability to deal with numerous task interruptions. Requires excellent interpersonal communication skills (both written and verbal), strong organizational and problem solving skills, as well as the ability to interact professionally with all levels of the organization.
Knowledge of the emerging HR and safety issues and the utility industry is desired.
Language Skills: Candidate must be proficient in reading, writing and speaking English.
Computers & Equipment: A fully skilled incumbent will have the ability to utilize the following software, hardware, or equipment:
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Outlook Contact Management systems; Human Resource systems (PeopleSoft preferred); Internet Explorer Internet software; Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet software and Microsoft Word Processing software. An individual should also have knowledge of general office equipment, including, but not limited to computers, personal electronic data devices, telephones, printers and audio visual equipment.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; engage in repetitive motion using the hands or arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
A valid driver's license is required for this position (verified upon hire). A valid Washington State driver's license is required within 30 days of employment.
Pursuant to the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) standards, Chelan County Public Utility District #1 conducts background screening of personnel who have access to the District's critical physical and/or cyber assets.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions for this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required, and the scope of responsibility. This should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.
Chelan PUD is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity at all levels of its workforce. M/F/H/V