Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Scope of Position:
Facilitate and direct daily production activities to ensure control and compliance to established process control and operation procedures. Achieve plant requirements for safety, quality, delivery, selects, uptime, throughput and cost
Day to Day Responsibilities:
Performance Metrics:MEC Strategic Metrics such as:
- Schedule resources and prioritizes activities to assure efficient production schedule compliance to include product changeovers, upgrades, experiments, new product runs and training to enhance the skill base and flexibility of all department employees
- Provides daily direction to production and maintenance employees,technicians and engineers on established procedures and policies.
- Communicate and report production and process performance metrics to production teams, plant operations staff and functional leaders. Ensure that production targets and delivery requirements are met on a daily and weekly basis.
- Engage with plant teams and functional groups responsible for identifying and implementing process improvements & cost reduction projects.
- Perform performance reviews and develop and reinforce career and talent development plans for hourly/direct labor employees.
- Ensure that the production process is operating in compliance to established process control set-points and operating procedures. Enforce process discipline and rigorous change control.
- Ensure the protection of Corning’s Intellectual Property (IP).
- Develop, implement and monitor training, qualification, certification and development programs for new and experienced operators, team leaders and engineers.
- Facilitate and monitor all process/equipment changes and experimental plans involving the production process, including process improvement, new product trial runs, equipment/tooling redesign, raw material, batch and/or component changes.
- Manage Monthly Department Spending, including variance and actions to improve; Provide input on annual budget & forecasting cycles
Plant Metrics such as:
- Cost per unit vs budget and lowest cost targets
- Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE).
- Inventory Turns, Days of Supply
- Environmental and Safety (Incidents, Recordables and Lost Time Accidents)
Willing to relocate to other Corning Facilities outside of Fairport after 2-6 years
- Yield, Scrap, Material Utilization
- Actual Manufacturing Cost (AMC)
- Safety (Recordable and LTA rates)
- Quality performance (process capability, returns/complaints in PPM)
- Audit results (Safety, Environmental, Mfg. Excellence, ISO)
- Schedule Compliance
- Delivery (ship to request, ship to commit)
- Bachelor of Science, Engineering preferred
- Candidate must have minimum of 4 yrs of experience, with no more then 10 years experience
- Frontline supervisory or team leader experience in a plant manufacturing environment, has demonstrated capability to hold people and teams accountable to process control and discipline.
- Experience with leading teams and projects to meet significant continuous improvement goals, cost reduction or performance improvement initiatives.
- Experience and understanding of process management systems, process control and discipline techniques.
- Trained and experienced in supervisory effectiveness, conflict resolution and effective listening skills.
- Training and understanding of cost accounting and managing for profitability.
- Trained and experienced in fundamentals of safety and health.
- Must have mobility and be willing to relocate to other Corning facilities in 2-6 years
- Experience in a process engineering role, capable to perform in-depth analysis to solve complex problems.
- Exposure to launching and ramping new products into manufacturing. Green Belt certified in Performance Excellence, Lean and DMAIC methods
Corning Incorporated is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics. Drawing on more than 160 years of materials science and process...