POSITION: Manufacturing Manager, Steel Utility
REPORTS TO: General Manager
LOCATION: Central Pennsylvania
A global leader in the manufacture of steel poles and
towers used in the electrical utility transmission and
distribution industry has an immediate opening for a
Manufacturing Manager at its facility in central
Pennsylvania. Reporting directly to the General Manager,
the Manufacturing Manager is responsible for the
managing and supervising several shifts’ activities to
support the objectives of the Facility and the company’s
Utilities Division, through continuous improvement.
The incumbent will supervise the profitable and safe
operation of the manufacturing functions in a growth
environment. This will be accomplished through employee
motivation, plant scheduling and machine loading,
superior maintenance and care of equipment, assuring a
quality product, maintaining good management/ employee
relations, the recommending of new equipment and capital
outlays, while controlling plant operating costs and
being committed to Lean Manufacturing and best
The incumbent will also demonstrate commitment to the
company’s Safety Mission Statement and Corporate
Safety’s Critical Success Factors process, provide
support and resources to complete 100 percent of the
site SBO Plan and conduct annual safety reviews of
As the Manufacturing Manager, the incumbent is
responsible for the maintenance of the department’s
equipment, safety of all shift employees, and the
quality of product produced. The goal is to insure that
each employee under the Manufacturing Manager accepts
ownership and responsibility for quality, safety, and
maintenance of equipment.
The Manufacturing Manager will actively participate in
department safety; demonstrate excellent safety
practices and behaviors and conform to all safety
policies and procedures. This professional will lead or
serve on the Safety Leadership Team to create, evaluate,
and press forward safety initiatives. The incumbent must
be knowledgeable of governmental environmental
regulations and company procedures and practices. The
Manufacturing Manager will train subordinates
accordingly and oversee the plant’s environmental
· Directs, trains, and assesses departmental supervisors
and leadmen to meet or exceed profit objectives of the
facility and the Division.
· Performs hiring, firing, disciplinary actions, reviews
of all production personnel. Manages staffing levels for
the manufacturing, finishing, and shipping areas.
· Drives Lean Manufacturing on all aspects of the
operation, via the company’s best practices.
· Manages activities related to shop floor control,
packets, dispatching, labor reporting, and materials
reporting. Oversees all related activities as to the
manufacturing and shipping of all products manufactured
in the facility.
· Communicates with others to determine the proper
procedure to get the task accomplished.
· Analyzes set-up times for accuracy, reviews labor
hours, and meets production control schedules and
capacity plan to ensure on-time deliveries.
· Must have ability to work with everyone in the
organization to improve production times, production
techniques, and quality issues.
· Will implement and monitor procedures for proper
logging of materials when received and track the
progress of customer orders and materials until shipped.
· Establishes and enforces quality expectations to meet
or exceed the customers’ expectations.
· Promotes, institutes, and maintains a safe, clean, and
hazard-free work environment.
· Will be responsible for providing leadership and
compliance to company’s loss control objectives, e.g.
OSHA and EPA, and other applicable federal, state, and
local regulatory agencies.
· Controls costs and expenses by working with employees
and teams to reduce consumables and eliminate waste.
· Responsible for the maintenance of facility equipment.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Business
Administration, or Management.
· Seven to 10 years of management / production
experience in steel manufacturing environment.
Knowledge and experience with steel fabrication, such as
welding, grinding and assembly operations, are
· Proficiency and proven success implementing lean
manufacturing processes are preferred.
· Experience with Lean, Six Sigma, AISC or ISO-9000
implementation and auditing are also a plus.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills to
effectively deal with other managers at the facility,
off-site facilities, and outside vendors.
· Professional manner, exhibiting a high degree of
confidence, flexibility, knowledge, integrity, and an
understanding of human nature.
· Analytical and decision making skills to perform the
overall functions of the position.
Base salary of $85,000 plus 20 percent performance
bonus. Competitive benefit package and 401(k) plan.
Relocation allowance will be offered, as appropriate.
Perfect World Search - 17 months ago