We have an opening in our corporate headquarters located in Columbus, Ohio, for an experienced Business Insurance Market Specialist. The Market Specialist reports to the Product Manager and is responsible for profit and growth for a specific state assignment. The Market Specialist takes an active role in formulating and implementing state strategies through increased analysis and focus on competitor behaviors including product and pricing strategies, marketplace dynamics, pricing segmentation and account level analysis. He/she must work collaboratively with the Product Management team as well as with representatives from Product Development, Actuarial, Field Sales, Underwriting, Claims and IT to accomplish goals and objectives.
Qualified applicants should possess three to five years of related experience with an emphasis on commercial lines insurance products including but not limited to general liability, commercial property, commercial auto and multiple lines. A four-year college degree or equivalent experience is required. The ability to analyze and interpret rates, data and trends is necessary. Successful candidates must possess strong analytical skills, be self-directed with strong organization and time management skills necessary to manage conflicting priorities. Strong written and verbal communication skills are required. Solid experience in Excel, Access and Word are required. Experience with SAS or other advanced data extraction tools is a plus. A solid understanding of the following is also necessary:
- Basic actuarial concepts such as indications, loss development and trending.
- Competitive analysis data sources and tools.
- Basic ratemaking and its application, such as profitability, risk loads, etc.
- Techniques and models used to forecast insurance financials. Provides forecasts as needed.
- Able to access available sources of State Auto and Industry trend information.
- Good working relationships with product development and actuarial areas, field sales, underwriting, operations, claim and IT. Understands the workflow and terminology of these areas and their impact on Product Management.
State Auto offers competitive compensation, an annual bonus program, an excellent benefits package including medical, dental and prescription insurance coverage, life insurance, 401(k) plan, flexible spending accounts, tuition assistance for industry courses, and a stock purchase plan.
State Auto is a smoke-free work environment. We utilize drug screening and background checks as conditions of employment. For all exempt positions we also obtain motor vehicle reports (MVR s).
Third Party Candidates Will Not Be Accepted.
Position Tracking # 2012-087810-6
State Auto Insurance Companies - 18 months ago