KCP&L, a wholly owned subsidiary of Great Plains Energy Incorporated, is a leading regulated provider of energy-related products and services for homes, businesses, industries, and municipalities in the Kansas City metropolitan area and surrounding region.
Education & Experience
This positions requires a Bachelors degree in Journalism, Mass Communications, Marketing or related discipline. Seven years experience within a marketing communications or corporate communications department or as a writer or account executive at an advertising or public relations agency preferred. Strong writing and editing skills. Developed verbal and presentation skills. Knowledge and experience of external communication practices. Experience in utility industry is preferred but not mandatory.
Effective people skills, communication (oral and written) and project management also are essential.
Off-hours commitments and availability will be necessary at times.
Special Background, Experience
* Client-service mentality and ability -- Strong ability and confidence level with anticipating and identifying business partner needs, forming recommendations, and articulating these recommendations as a communications counselor to internal clients. Excellent written and verbal communication, coordination, and presentation skills. Keeps abreast of communications best practices in order to effectively interpret business needs and provide strategic counsel to internal clients.
* Make strategic marketing communications recommendations for promoting KCP&L¿s products and services, including product launch strategies, driving enrollments and contributing to meeting sales targets. Write and edit product and service collateral.
* Understanding of content marketing strategy and execution. Develop and execute projects and related content that support overall brand positioning and messaging for the products and services, but being mindful of how individual product plans need to tie into overall corporate initiatives.
* Clear understanding of how to utilize segmentation information for marketing communications strategies and tactics.
* Stay current on information and trends within the electric utility and marketing communications industry with a focus on up-to-date best practices.
* Proven ability to build consensus and work effectively within a cross-departmental team. Work cooperatively with key team members, clients and vendors.
* Excellent project management skills.
* Excellent communication, written and verbal skills, including confidentiality
* Flexibility and ability to operate in a sometimes ambiguous and rapidly evolving environment.
* Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and familiar with Desktop Publishing and presentation software. Experience with CRM, CMS and EMS systems preferred.
* Outstanding time management and organizational skills required.
* Proven ability to work independently and make progress while keeping supervisor appropriately informed and consulted.
* Must demonstrate interpersonal skills. Ability to collaborate and influence internal partners.
Brief Description of Duties
Responsible for product marketing communications strategy, development and execution. Responsible for planning, creating and implementing marketing and customer communications programs and vehicles. Utilizes creative and analytical thinking skills to recommend and produce communications materials for a variety of internal and external audiences as needed in the Corporate & Customer Communications department.
By submitting your application, you certify that all the information provided in this application is true to the best of your knowledge and belief and you understand that any material misrepresentation, omission, or falsification of any information provided on this application, or any other documents submitted to KCP&L in the application process, if discovered at any time during your employment, will be considered grounds for immediate discharge. Any information provided is subject to verification. KCP&L is authorized to verify any of the information you have provided, and you release from any and all liability all persons or companies that provide such information. You further understand and agree that your employment is "at will" and may be terminated at any time with or without cause at either your option or that of the Company.
Great Plains Energy is sweeping the fruited plains with electric power. The holding company serves about 823,200 electricity customers in...