This position is responsible for creating and implementing the marketing and development strategy for the zoo’s programs, events, and fundraising activities. It also involves soliciting donors, supervising fundraising efforts, grant writing and liaison functions related to presentations, meeting facilitation and relationship building. This position supervises clerical staff. Starting salary for this position is $37,143.18 +DOE/Q
Examples of Duties:
- Follow the marketing plan with budget considerations and input from Public Relations Committee.
- Prepare and distribute media releases.
- Negotiate and purchase media time and advertising space.
- Design and oversee development of promotional materials.
- Serve as liaison between the Zoo and media, maintaining good collaborative relationships.
- Coordinate electronic and social media promotional efforts.
- Maintain open, timely and accurate communication with the Zoo Director on all Zoo activities.
- Implement and manage underwriting sponsorship programs.
- Complete and oversee grant applications and evaluations in accordance with prescribed deadlines.
- Manage and maintain special events fundraising records.
- Responsible for maximizing utilization of “free” media outlets.
- Coordinate quarterly newsletter.
- Serve as Zoo representative to community organizations.
Marketing principles utilized within the industry.
Abilene donor and media community.
Excellent communication skills, including writing and public speaking, press releases, and newsletters.
Communicate with and maintain effective working relationships with media, staff members, AZS board members, donors and the public.
Design promotional materials.
Basic bookkeeping skills to set up, calculate, verify, and record donations.
Operate office equipment to include computer, scanner, fax, and copier.
Ability to :
Work within a department budget.
Develop Grant proposals.
Be creative and free-thinking.
Work independently with minimal supervision.
Multi-task, prioritize and organize projects efficiently within a work schedule.
Experience and Training Guidelines :
Any combination equivalent to experience and training to provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be qualifying. Knowledge, skills, and abilities may be obtained through:
Three (3) years of related experience in marketing, public relations, development and grant writing is preferred.
Bachelor’s Degree in communications, marketing, or a related field from an accredited college or university.
License or Certificate:
Must have a valid Texas Driver’s License.
Special Requirements :
Ability to sit, stand, walk and maintain body equilibrium when climbing and walking.
A significant amount of time will be required a computer.
City of Abilene - 10 months ago