Math Teaching Opportunity – Middle School
Half Time (0.5 FTE) - ONE YEAR
Lakeside School, an independent coeducational day school located in North Seattle, is currently recruiting for a Middle School Math Teacher , for the 2013-14 school year (beginning in mid to late August, 2013).
The Math Teacher position, reporting to the Middle School Math Department Head and the Middle School Director, will join a department consisting of six (6) faculty members. Specific responsibilities for this position include the following:
Requirements and Qualifications
- Teach two (2) sections of 6 th , 7 th , or 8 th grade math classes (or a mixture of these). The class size is 14–16 students;
- Provide academic support for students outside of class time (answer homework questions, provide extra help, etc.), as needed;
- Collaborate and participate actively in the work of the Math Department on innovative curriculum development, pedagogy, and assessment;
- Attend department and faculty meetings as scheduled;
- Act as an co-advisor to eight 6 th , 7 th , or 8 th grade students and serve on a grade-level team;
- Participate in the life of the school community including outdoor trips, field trips, and service learning activities;
- Assist with math team/club at one grade level, which involves supervision, coaching, and attendance at team events.
Successful candidates will:
Compensation and Benefits
- Hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in mathematics or a related field and will have a passion for mathematics and for interacting with middle school level students, inside and outside of the classroom;
- Have prior experience teaching middle school mathematics;
- Be highly collaborative, innovative with curriculum and pedagogy, community-minded, and technologically facile;
- Comfortable with the full spectrum of middle school and early upper school level mathematics and have the ability to connect with and effectively teach a broad range of learning styles and abilities;
- Join a highly collaborative math department and school that values academic rigor, diversity, and creativity;
- Be required to authorize a criminal background check which results in a favorable report.
Lakeside School is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding faculty candidates who will add to the racial, cultural, economic, and gender diversity of our school community. We provide a competitive compensation package which includes, but is not limited to, a monthly salary, excellent health and welfare benefits, access to funds for professional development, housing down payment assistance program, and school-provided lunches. Additionally, Lakeside offers Faculty and Staff opportunities to participate in non-classroom teaching programs such as Global Service Learning, Summer School, coaching, etc., for extra compensation.
This half time (.50 FTE) position is benefit eligible.
Lakeside School was founded in 1919, and currently enrolls 793 students in grades 5 through 12 from diverse ethnic, racial, religious, and economic backgrounds.
The School’s Mission and the shared commitment of all Lakeside employees is to develop in intellectually capable young people the creative minds, healthy bodies, and ethical spirits needed to contribute wisdom, compassion, and leadership to a global society. We provide a rigorous, dynamic academic program through which effective educators lead students to take responsibility for learning. We are committed to sustaining a school in which individuals representing diverse cultures and experiences instruct one another in the meaning and value of community and in the joy and importance of lifelong learning.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume via the online application located on Lakeside’s website ( www.lakesideschool.org ). From the home page choose About Us / Employment / View and Apply For Available Jobs.
Interviewing for this position will begin in February, 2013. Applications accepted until filled.
Lakeside School is an Equal Opportunity Employer seeking to diversify its workplace.
Lakeside School - 2 years ago