With a focus on providing superior service and product knowledge, the meat sales clerk processes customer requests in an efficient, accurate, and courteous manner and helps prepare, slice, scale, wrap, and display meat department products, making sure our customers enjoy a clean, well-merchandised, colorful and inviting department.
Some Job Responsibilities include:
- Maintaining a positive and friendly attitude towards customers and fellow team members.
- Engaging with customers through smiles and greetings, offering product information, providing selling suggestions and active sampling and always giving a genuine thank you.
- Providing customers with excellent and helpful product information.
- Using the scale printer, wrapping machine, ensuring product descriptions, weights and pricing are correct.
- Understanding the importance of correctly using and monitoring product pricing, signage, and placement.
- Keeping a clean, neat and orderly, and well-stocked meat counter, meat service cases and self-service cases.
- Preparing, wrapping, weighing, slicing, and stocking meat department products, rotating them as necessary to ensure product quality and safety.
- Helping with the preparation of ready to go meat products.
- In some departments, the slicing, weighing and merchandising of prepared deli meats and cheeses.
- Displaying goods following deli department and/or merchandising guidelines.
- Taking customer orders, ensuring orders are completed on time and to the customer’s satisfaction.
Performs other duties as needed or assigned by management. Applicants for this position must be at least
- Remain helpful, tactful and courteous at all times.
- Be able to provide customers with excellent meat products knowledge, including knowledge of poultry, pork, beef and fish.
- Be able to explain different meat cuts and meat products cooking and preparation options.
- Be as salesperson, ready to provide customers with a meal solution.
- Work quickly and efficiently, sometimes with little direction, to accomplish assigned duties.
- Read UPC codes, product labels, shelf signage, business forms, and posted company policies/procedures.
- Understand and follow food safety and sanitation rules, policies and guidelines.
- Work safely around knives, sharp slicers and saws, grinders, patty makers and tenderizers.
- Follow all Bashas’ meat department member safety policies.
- Be dexterous enough with hands and fingers so as to be able to wrap and rotate products quickly and use necessary equipment, including knives and wrappers.
- Communicate openly and professionally through appropriate body language, facial expressions and speech, also communicating in writing when necessary.
- Listen to and understand verbal and non-verbal communication of customers and fellow members.
- Stand for long periods of time, bend and twist, and frequently lift and/or maneuver merchandise and supplies weighing 20 – 40 lbs.
- Lift and maneuver up to 50 lbs, at times helping to break down heavy pallet loads.
- Work in refrigerated cutting rooms and walk-in coolers and freezers.
- Work with all sorts of meats, poultry, fish, flavorings, sauces and oils.
- Work with a wide variety of cleaning supplies, some including ammonia.
A friendly and positive attitude towards customers and team members.
A desire to greet, engage and sincerely thank the customer.
An outstanding work ethic and a desire to continuously improve one’s work performance.
Ability to support each team member’s efforts to succeed.
Ability to be flexible, adapting to new jobs, schedules, team members, programs, policies and procedures.
Ability to sell products and provide meal solutions.
A love of great foods and an eye for product quality.
- 2 years ago - save job
Bashas', founded by brothers Ike and Eddie Basha Sr., is a dynamic, growing company competing in the most hotly contested grocery...