Generally responsible for supervision and technical direction over a team of designers when functioning as a lead designer. As lead designer, responsibilities will include total delivery of the mechanical and piping deliverables and services on time, within performance budget and meeting quality expectations. Duties may include performing advanced design work serving as a technical specialist for a complex design assignment. This level requires extensive progressive experience in mechanical and piping design and involves utilization of project controls for cost, schedule and quality of projects. This work will be performed under very little supervision.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
Primary responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
• Familiarity with and utilizing department design and drafting standards.
• Recognizing and communicating project scope, specifications and design criteria upon assignment to a project task team.
• Recognizing and communicating scope and design changes promptly.
• On-site assistance during startup.
• Providing technical guidance to less experienced drafting personnel in the department.
• Coordinating work activities with other staff members and the discipline lead.
• Producing mechanical and piping installation specifications with engineering review and approval.
• Complete understanding of the skills and experience required to perform design functions.
• Proactively lead and coordinate the efforts of a design staff to achieve scope, schedule and budget objectives.
• Mentoring subordinates.
• Participating in squad checks to insure coordination between the design disciplines.
• Checking calculations made by other designers to ensure accuracy, conformance to codes, specifications, design criteria and conformance to good engineering practice.
• Determining construction quantities and provide construction cost estimates.
• Delegating work to designers in proportion to their technical skills and experience, then following up for support to ensure efficient progress and quality.
• Consulting with design leaders from other disciplines in proportion to their technical skills and experience, then following up for support to ensure efficient progress and quality.
• Participating in the planning of training programs, continuous education opportunities and professional development of staff.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
• Associate degree in Engineering Technology or Computer-Aided Drafting.
• Position requires 15 to 25 years of relevant industrial experience (oil and gas, power, chemical, etc.) in mechanical and piping drafting and design.
• Knowledge and application of piping materials.
• Design of moderately complex process and utility piping systems, especially those systems unique to the industry being served.
• Knowledge and application of piping supports and restraints.
• Flexibility analysis of piping system.
• Knowledge of manual valve sizing, use and application.
• Knowledge of good design practices for sizing all piping systems.
• Sizing of compressible fluid piping systems.
• Identification of need, application and specification of steam traps and liquid drainers.
• Identification of need, application and specification of safety valves and devices to maintain the mechanical integrity of piping systems.
• Selecting piping specialty items given the design criteria.
• Drafting of P&ID’s and GA’s.
• Design of piping limited specific equipment and inline instrumentation arrangements such as pump suctions and discharges, tanks, control valve stations, etc.
• Familiarity with specifications and installation details of construction bulk materials and equipment.
• Ability to create accurate mechanical/piping installation documents from the information found on vendor equipment drawings.
• Knowledge and understanding of work flow/information flow between disciplines.
• Knowledge and understanding of schedule constraints and information requirements for the production of all mechanical/piping deliverables.
• Ability to accurately estimate completion of assigned tasks.
• Ability to develop mechanical/piping installation specifications with engineering review and approval.
• Ability to develop a construction cost estimate, a detailed engineering schedule and a man-hour budget for a small project or an area for a larger project.
• Knowledge and application of company engineering design and CAD drafting standards.
• Ability to lead a small team to deliver on commitments.
• Ability to deliver convincing presentations of Hargrove Engineers + Constructors services.
• Working knowledge of 2D AutoCAD and Microstation.
• Proficient in the use of MS Word, Excel and Outlook.
• Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Good presentation skills.
• Ability to sit, stand or walk for long periods of time.
• Ability to climb ladders or perform duties utilizing a safety harness.
• Ability to perform duties within confined spaces for extended periods of time.
• Ability to perform duties while wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as a fire-retardant jumpsuit, safety glasses, ear plugs and/or hard hat.
• Ability to lift and carry in excess of 15 lbs.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
Hargrove Engineers + Constructors - 19 months ago
copy to clipboard -
Since 1995, Hargrove Engineers + Constructors has served the needs of industry through its dedication to the client’s best interests....