Mechanical Engineer – Mass Properties
The Principal Mechanical Engineer - Mass Properties (weights) will execute the craft weight control plan. The mass properties engineer manages the overall craft weight throughout the development process by reviewing craft construction drawings, providing feedback to designers and engineers on weights-related issues, and interfacing with suppliers regarding weight issues. He/she will determine the weight of the subsystems and assemblies using solid model data, construction drawings and supplier information and track the overall craft weight and center of gravity by maintaining and updating the craft weight database throughout design and construction phases.
• Reviews craft construction drawings, identifies areas for potential weight saving
• Provide feedback to design engineers to ensure lightest possible design solution
• Performs weight and center of gravity take-offs from craft construction drawings and compares to established weight budgets
• Works with engineers and designers to resolve weight related issues
• Works with suppliers to obtain weight and center information
• Develops data for inclusion in weight database
• Participates in component, equipment and craft weighings
• Assist in preparing reports, analysis and presentations to the customer
• Assists in identifying and managing risks associated with the weight management effort.
• Performs other duties as assigned by management.
BS in Mechanical Engineering, Naval Architecture or related engineering discipline or equivalent experience.
• 8 plus years of marine or aerospace mass properties management experience.
• Experience with one or more 3-D CAD packages, SolidWorks is desirable
• Experience with ShipWeight software is desirable
This position requires use of information which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR., ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
This employer participates in eVerify.
Schedule : Full-time
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Shift : First Shift
Travel : Yes, 20 % of the Time
FPCNational - 2 years ago