The Medical Devices and Mechanical Systems (MDMS) Group brings medical and mechanical concepts from idea to reality. The MDMS group provides mechanical engineering support for research and product development projects that require medical or mechanical engineering expertise, as well as offers leadership for engineering focused projects. MDMS group members are skilled in mechanical engineering and design and typically have a degree in a related engineering field.
The Mechanical Engineer Project Manager Consultant will be responsible for managing major projects within the MDMS group at IV Lab. The successful candidate will be comfortable working both independently and leading multi-disciplinary projects involving 8-10 brilliant colleagues in a collaborative environment of engineers and scientists. The Mechanical Engineer Project Manager will manage a budget, schedule, performance requirements and communicate progress and review the work of peers. The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to think creatively and to operate within a flexible, fast-paced development program dedicated to converting advanced research into real-world functional solutions.
- Lead and manage small and large cross functional engineering prototype projects from feasibility stage concept to commercialization
- Work with cross-functional technology development teams to define the product criteria for moving the project from concept into prototyping to product development
- Develop product requirements based on customer inputs user needs and ensure hardware product meets performance, quality, and cost criteria
- Communicate product development updates status to senior management and high profile stakeholders internal and external team members, IV Lab executives and other stakeholders
- Successfully demonstrate the facilitator/mediator/mentor role amongst team members, ensuring seamless coordination and communication of engineering excellence
- Mentor junior staff members in engineering fundamentals and project management methods
- Review other engineer’s drawings and execute projects in compliance of relevant regulatory requirements (notably ASME Y14.5 and IV Lab standards)
- This role has no direct reports but must be comfortable leading project teams
- BSME required; advanced degree is a plus
- Minimum of 15 years engineering as a Program Manager, Project Manager, Principal Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, R&D Engineer or related title with experience in mechanical, structural, thermal design and analysis
- 5 years of project management experience
- Experienced with design, analysis, and test of mechanical systems and components
- Deep understanding of manufacturing methods including welding, brazing, and plastic molding techniques
- Proficiency with a 3-D CAD package, such as Solidworks( preferred), Pro/E, Catia, Unigraphics; etc.
- Expertise with a mechanical design file management system, such as Enterprise Product Data Management (preferred), Intralink, etc.
- Demonstrated experience analyzing complex mechanical solutions with finite element analysis (FEA)
- Possesses sound engineering judgment and superior organization skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be capable of presenting to audiences, including senior management and high profile stakeholders
- Experience producing drawings and checking the drawings of others
- Expertise with geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T)
- Experience with MS Office and MS Project