The Mechanical Engineering Project Team Lead is a project leadership position with overall lifecycle responsibility for planning, conception, design and development of analyzer and instrument mechanical packaging and core physics. The ME Project Team Lead will work closely with engineering management, product managers, service management, outsource partners, and customers to understand all challenges, issues, and requirements. A hands-on, continuous improvement mentality is critical, with a demonstrated ability to take a product full circle: from creative design synthesis to obsessing over development, performance improvement and validation. The ME Project Team Lead m ust be able to synthesize cost effective designs that optimize analyzer core technology physics and overall system performance. Must have the ability to quickly learn and understand core analysis physics and create designs to optimize performance, cost, reliability, and manufacturability.
ESSENTIAL TASKS & DUTIES:
· Develop understanding for product requirements to drive creation of project / resource plans that encompass all aspects of product development. Project planning would include design, test, project documentation, training, production release and support.
· Product development includes d irect design responsibility from conception through validation, overall product functionality and component specification, part and assembly design and documentation, bill of materials and engineering change orders. Responsible for mechanical packaging and core physics design and design analysis with implementation from concept through production. Will conduct and participate in internal and external design reviews.
· Communicate directly with all key project personnel including product mangers, customers, end users, and other third-party firms to establish all project requirements and resolve open issues.
· Coordinate efforts between internal engineering disciplines and outsource engineering partners taking responsibility for smooth project progress and completion.
· Allocate specific engineering tasks to assigned engineers and project team members. Supervises work to ensure completion in accord with project objectives.
· Drive project team members to meet design specifications, project schedules, product cost goals and development budgets.
· Take a lead role in the design, development, and testing of mechanical devices and subassemblies to verify quality and function.
· Ensure that complete design documentation packages are delivered per project according to the PAC stage gate process as it applies to product development.
· Travel to customer sites, vendor sites, outsource partner sites or offices .
· Work with engineering management to identify best practice mechanical engineering design methods and tools.
· Follow all company safety policies and procedures.
· Respond to change productively and handle other duties as required.
PEOPLE DEVELOPMENT AND LEADERSHIP:
Carry out project supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws, including Health and Safety, Investors in People, Sarbanes Oxley, Quality Standards, Environmental Policy, Ethics Policy
Responsibilities include: Planning, assigning and directing work, apprising performance; resolving problems.
Education & Experience:
Master degree preferred. Must possess BS in Mechanical Engineering acceptable with exceptional experience.
Minimum of ten years’ experience with complex product design in a mechanical design environment. Analytical and/or Instrumentation experience highly preferred.
Must have 3-5 years of Lead project engineering experience with demonstrated successful completion of 3 large cross-functional team projects.
Knowledge & Skills:
Mechanical Engineering / Project Lead skills:
1. Project management skills and the ability to direct co-located and remote project teams.
2. Must be a self-motivated team player with the ability to work in a fast paced, demanding environment with minimal supervision.
3. Must possess excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
4. Experience with high integrity, high reliability, low cost mechanical and electro-mechanical systems is a requirement of this position. Candidate must be able to take design full circle from concept through design verification.
5. Strong competency with SolidWorks design environment.
6. Product Data Management and Engineering Change Management experience.
7. Strong understanding of manufacturing methods and limitations.
8. CSA, ATEX hazardous area design background desirable.
9. Design of test and testing skills are critical. Must have excellent problem solving facilitation skills to lead team efforts in the area of FMEA planning and problem resolution.
10. Strong working knowledge of PC applications and Microsoft Office products.
11. Current technical understanding of mechanical engineer design applied to process and/or instrument design.
PAC, a subsidiary of Roper Industries, is a leading global provider of advanced analytical instruments for laboratories and online process...