· Mechanical Supervisors – Car Shop are responsible for managing day-to-day inspection, maintenance, and repair of freight cars to ensure the on-time performance of trains and delivery of freight cars as committed to railroad customers.
· Builds safety compliance and improves safety results through regular efficiency testing and safety walkabouts; provides positive and constructive feedback and coaching.
· Lead the on-boarding and training activities of new employees.
· Manages Mechanical Supervisors and ensures Mechanical work is performed within CN, FRA and AAR standards. Manages day to day issues, along with hourly performance issues including conducting investigations, recommending appropriate steps to correct performance issues, and responding to grievances.
· Manages budget, workforce productivity, manpower, within CN policy and five guiding principles.
· Operate in conjunction with CN collective bargaining agreements.
· Reviews production and operation reports and resolves operations and maintenance problems to ensure minimum costs and operation delays.
· Directs and coordinates through subordinate supervisory personnel applying knowledge of production methods, processes, terminal layout and mechanical maintenance.
· Develops and revises standard operational and working practices and observes workers to ensure compliance with standards.
· May be required to work on varying shifts to cover operations that run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Work is primarily indoors, but frequently requires field support, which can be in varying types of weather.
· Work shifts may vary and will include weekdays, weekends and statutory holidays .
· Will be on call - based on territory requirements.
· Moderate travel requirements (up to 10% of the time), which may include overnight stays away from home, based on territory requirements.
· Will be required to respond to emergency situations.
· High school diploma or GED.
· Valid driver's license.
· Comprehensive knowledge of car types, components and operation, inspection and repair, yard operating rules and regulatory requirements.
· 3 years experience in railroad Mechanical shopcraft or comparable position.
· Good computer skills; especially working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (Excel, Word), SRS.
· Associates or Bachelors Degree Mechanical Engineering or comparable degree.
· 2 + years prior supervisory experience.
· Experience with computer programs such as CATS, SAP, etc.
Canadian National Railway - 5 months ago