PLEASE NOTE: If you have passed the math skills test and have documented that you possess the appropriate certification, your application will remain active for six months.
This recruitment is open to all qualified candidates and will be used to build a list of eligible applicants for Medical Assistant (MA) vacancies. All MA vacancies will be filled from this list. Qualified applicants will remain on the eligible list for 6 months and then must reapply.
All Career Service and Term-Limited Temporary (TLT) MA vacancies will be posted here. Applicants from this job posting may also be used to fill Short-Term Temporary (STT) positions in this classification for a period of up to a year.
Summary of Practice: The Medical Assistant is responsible for assisting health care providers providing primary care in various Public Health ambulatory care clinics. The incumbent works as a paraprofessional performing delegated patient care functions under the clinical direction of a Physician, Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner (ARNP) or Registered Nurse and under the supervision of a site manager or Personal Health Services Supervisor (PHSS). Medical Assistants work collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary clinic team; perform administrative support duties, conduct education and outreach activities; research various topics and information; conduct assessments, and are expected to regularly adapt their role/tasks in order to maximize clinic efficiency and flow. Additional duties vary depending on the practice specialty but can include: family planning; immunizations; phlebotomy; medication administration; intramuscular, intradermal (including ppd's) and subcutaneous injections; data entry into tracking system..
Medical Assistant; 1.0 FTE; Float Pool; Time Limited Temporary position to end 12/31/2014. (2 vacancies)
This position will be scheduled through the float pool supervisor, the incumbent must be willing to work at any of the various Public Health Centers located throughout King County, changing locations on a regular basis as part of the float pool staff. Family Health and Family Planning knowledge, skills, and experience is desired. Bilingual English / Spanish desired. Regular operating hours are Monday - Friday 8:00 to 5:00 or 10:00 - 7:00, the work schedule will vary depending on clinic needs.
Medical Assistant; Float Pool; Short Term Temporary
This position will be scheduled through the float pool supervisor, the incumbent must be willing to work at any of the various Public Health Centers located throughout King County, changing locations on a regular basis as part of the float pool staff. Family Health and Family Planning knowledge, skills, and experience is desired. Bilingual English / Spanish desired. Regular operating hours are Monday - Friday 8:00 to 5:00 or 10:00 - 7:00, the work schedule and hours worked will vary depending on clinic needs.
Contact: If you have questions regarding the application process for this recruitment please contact Jennifer Caymol, Human Resource Analyst at (206) 263-8733 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pediatric Health - Provides primary care to infants, children, and male and female adolescents.
- Family Health - Assists in providing primary care to male and female patients of all ages.
- Family Planning / Gynecology - performs with medical team providing family planning care including; birth control; options counseling; abortion referrals and STD diagnosis and treatment to male and female patients.
Examples of Duties:
- Assist primary care providers with patient care; and coordinate efficient clinic flow by promptly rooming patients.
- Accurately perform diagnostic screenings and procedures such as; vision and hearing screening, EKG's, and record adult and child anthropometric measurements.
- As directed by a Physician and/or Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner, perform and process blood draws, administer medication and collect specimens.
- Provide health care education regarding reproductive health, emergency contraception and pregnancy options, including abortion referral through individual instruction and written materials to clinic clients.
- Monitor, request, stock and clean routine clinic supplies; maintain safety and cleanliness of examination/ treatment rooms and laboratory areas. This may include some bending, lifting, reaching, stooping and moving objects weighing 35 pounds. Interview and accurately record client's medical, dietary, and social history, anthropometric and lab results and accurately enter patient information into health information tracking systems and chronic disease registries.
- As directed by a Physician and/or Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner, phone in prescriptions to pharmacies, schedule follow-up appointments and refer patients for specialty and/or follow-up care as needed.
- Utilize clinic practice management software to assist with scheduling, registering and checking in patients for appointments
- Attend training and responds to emergency situations within the clinic supporting health care providers and emergency personnel.
- Must possess current certification as a Medical Assistant from Washington State Department of Health.
- Knowledge of asepsis and universal precautions; State and Federal guidelines regarding laboratory safety; handling and/or disposing of bio-hazards and specimens; ability to clean clinic supplies; maintain examination / treatment rooms and laboratory areas.
- Knowledge of Medical Assistant skills including phlebotomy and related laboratory and clinical procedures; medical terminology; vital signs and immunizations.
- Mathematic skills: ability to do basic calculations; convert fractions and decimals; graph anthropometrics and schedule follow ups that are time sensitive, all with a high degree of accuracy.
- Written communication skills to include: ability to provide clerical support; medical record-keeping; utilize patient tracking registries and accurately enter health information data; proficient with computer use.
- Communication skills: ability to effectively communicate with non-English speaking clients utilizing interpreters, when necessary, and/or skilled in a language or customs that enhances service delivery to our clients; experience interviewing clients to obtain their medical, dietary, and social history. Work as a team player to collaborate and solve problems with clients and co-workers. Understanding of health education techniques; able to educate clients on health care maintenance and prevention; ability to effectively engage the client.
- Understanding of the laws governing health care; HIPAA and the handling confidential information with tact and discretion; understanding of Child Protective Services mandates.
- Willing to provide information and client education regarding reproductive health, emergency contraception and pregnancy options, including abortion referral.
- Ability to set priorities, to make decisions within the scope of position; seek additional information where/when necessary; analyze and evaluate situations; identify problems and implement appropriate action/solutions.
- Ability to successfully perform a number of tasks simultaneously, meet deadlines and work under strict time constraints on a regular basis.
- Ability to effectively deal with change; able to be flexible and adaptable; able to gather information and try different ideas to make things work.
- Relates well with diverse personality types; treats everyone fairly and equitably. The incumbent works with a multi-disciplinary team that interacts with the public and community partners while delivering quality healthcare services to racially, ethnically and socio-economically diverse populations.
- Ability to talk to others with ease; listen attentively; be receptive to what others have to say.
- Adequate physical ability and sufficient manual dexterity to perform the requisite health care services. This position may include some bending, lifting, reaching, stooping and moving objects weighing up to 35 pounds.
In addition to certification as a Medical Assistant from the Washington State Department of Health, certification from one or more of the following is strongly desired:
- Designation as a Certified Medical Assistant from the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA).
- Designation as a Registered Medical Assistant from American Medical Technologists (AMT).
- Designation as a Certified Clinical Medical Assistant from the National Healthcareer Association (NHA).
- Designation as a National Certified Medical Assistant from the National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT).
- This selection process may include but is not limited to: evaluation of application materials and supplemental questions, testing and interviewing. For more information on our selection process, please refer to http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthservices/health/jobs.aspx
- Public Health relies on office automation (Microsoft Office) and web-based enabled tools, therefore candidates must be proficient and comfortable with computer use to perform functions associated with on-going work.
- Regular and reliable attendance, effective communication skills, and development of effective working relationships are requirements of all Public Health positions.
- Staff may be required to play an active role in the event of a public health emergency, which may include changes in responsibilities and working hours.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- The selected candidate will be required to pass a thorough background investigation.
- Employees are required to protect the privacy and security of protected health information as defined in State and Federal Law.
- Employees are required to adhere to OSHA/WISHA guidelines including but not limited to completing their mandatory trainings on time.
This position is represented by the Professional & Technical Employees Union, Local 17.
Public Health - Seattle & King County - 7 months ago