SUMMARY STATEMENT & PURPOSE
This position primarily focuses around the medical billing functions for INHS facilities and contracted clients.
KEY RESULT AREAS AND SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES - All functions are essential functions unless otherwise noted.
1. Prepare medical billing statements for payers and patients, distribute mail and working with payers and patients in regards to billing as related to services rendered.
2. Function as a dependable team member.
3. Coordinate work schedule around unexpected priority projects and deadlines; and adhere to INHS personnel policies.
4. Responsible for maintaining productivity levels based on department policy despite frequent interruptions (phone calls, walk-in traffic) and medium to low noise levels.
5. Establishes and maintains good working relationship with internal and external contracts. Collaborates effectively in a team environment. Resolves conflicts appropriately and timely.
6. Communicates effectively in English in written and verbal form, in person and by telephone. Writes with clarity, correct spelling, grammar, punctuation and cohesive structure.
7. Consistently demonstrates attention to detail and accuracy.
8. Requires initiative to plan and prioritize.
9. Show strong compassion while maintaining a professional position.
10. Answer all incoming calls either facilitated by representative or transferred to a biller, depending on needed information; processing of the incoming calls will include, but not limited to customer service relation of answering general account information from patients, contracted clients, attorney offices, along with internal INHS phone calls.
11. Responsible for demonstrating an awareness and sensitivity to information, ensuring privacy and confidentiality. Knows basic HIPAA law as it pertains to health plans. All employees of Inland Northwest Health Services who have direct or indirect access to patient health information must treat that information with the strictest confidence. Any unauthorized access, modification, disclosure or casual discussion of such information shall be considered a violation of this policy and shall be the grounds for disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.
COMPLEXITY AND SUPERVISION
Works under general direction and reports to Billing Lead and Supervisor. Requires thorough knowledge of medical billing and related laws and regulations.
TECHNOLOGY / EQUIPMENT USED :
Phone, fax, copier, printers, PC, laptop, mouse, keyboard, monitors, MS Office, (Excel & Power Point), internet, email, Outlook calendar, Meditech, MS Windows.
o High School Diploma or GED.
o 2-3 years of experience in medical billing experience is desirable.
o Knowledge of and ability to operate basic keyboard. Able to t ype a minimum of 40 wpm preferred. Able to operate 10 key calculator by touch.
o Numerical and arithmetic ability are required for computation.
o Able to maintain the privacy of confidential information.
o Able to use Microsoft Word, Excel and Office proficiently.
o Must be detailed and accurate in performing calculations.
o Excellent oral and written communication/presentation skills.
o Working knowledge of CPT-4 and ICD-9CM coding preferred.
PREFERRED QUALIFI CATIONS
PHYSICAL & SENSORY REQUIREMENTS, WORK ENVIRONMENT & CONDITIONS :
· May operate computer for extended periods of time.
· Lift, carry push, pull objects up to 10 lb, with occasional lifting and carrying to 20lbs.
· Finger and hand dexterity to adequately handle/manipulate equipment and adequate hearing and visual acuity.
· Communicate extensively via telephone, face-to-face, e-mail, and fax.
· May sit for extended periods of time.
· Stoop or bend occasionally.
· Blood-Borne Pathogen Category III - No exposure to blood-borne pathogens.
· Generally works days in an office setting.
· May spend considerable time at a computer.
· Busy office setting with frequent interruptions (phone calls, walk-in traffic) and medium to low noise levels.
Inland Northwest Health Services - 9 months ago