Under routine supervision reviews requests for release of medical records: releases records considering compliance with appropriate State and Federal laws regarding confidentiality and release of health information.
Examples of Duties:
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
Cross trained in other areas of the Medical Record Department and assists in the areas needed by the direction of the Director, Medical Records
- Reviews authorizations for release of information and responds to such requests according to DCP policy and State/Federal laws/regulations.
- Reviews authorizations to determine if they meet State/Federal and DCP criteria for release.
- Reviews medical records to determine appropriateness of released information.
- Copies records for agencies in response to requests for information.
- Prepares materials to be released and maintains a log of information sent as per procedure.
- Prepares information to be mailed in accordance with DCP policies and procedures.
- Responds to MetaStar requests for information requested by them in compliance with State Peer Review and maintains a log of information sent with the amount of reimbursement due.
- Processes walk-in requests for client information
- Receives telephone calls regarding requests for client information from clients, lawyers, other health care facilities, DSS, etc.
- Involved in health record quantitative/qualitative record analysis as requested.
- Performs clerical duties as requested by clinical staff, letters, etc.
- Performs Notary functions within DCP building as needed.
Desirable Knowledge and Abilities:
Ability to independently organize work in an efficient and orderly manner. Ability to communicate effectively with others. Working knowledge of State/Federal statutes and regulations relating to the release of patient health information. Ability to carry out verbal and written instructions/requests accurately and efficiently.
Training and Experience:
High school graduation and 1-2 years of experience in release of patient health information in a health care facility. Experience with Microsoft Word and adequate keyboarding, writing skills needed for an office setting.
Completion of medical terminology and medical/legal course desirable.
In evaluating candidates for this position, Fond du Lac County may consider a combination of education, training and experience which provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of the position.
Frequent contact with DCP clients, all DCP clinical staff and all outside requestors of patient health care information. Must maintain a pleasant, positive and professional interaction with all of the aforementioned requestors of information.
Fond du Lac County, WI - 16 months ago