Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc. is a diverse and decentralized pharmaceutical company that is committed to focusing on our key stakeholders while delivering consistently high performance. Our values provide the overall direction for our company, and provide us with the tools necessary to rise to any challenge by leveraging our collective hard work and effort along with our unwavering competitive spirit. These values help us set goals based on our organization’s potential and what we hope it will become.
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) plays a crucial role in Medical Affairs at Valeant, being part of a small and exclusive field-based team of medical scientific experts that partner with national key opinion leaders (KOLs) primarily in the academic community. Thus, the MSL has significant responsibility and is expected to provide in-depth scientific, clinical and educational support to KOLs, as well as to internal clinical, sales and marketing teams. In addition, the MSL provides scientific insights back to Medical Affairs management.
The MSL should have an in-depth understanding of medical opthalmology, as well as opthalmological diseases that are treated by opthamologists. In addition, it is important that the MSL have well-established relationships with national KOLs inopthalmology, both medical and aesthetic. If not, the MSL must be well-equipped to develop new relationships.
U.S. Policy on Medical Science Liaisons
- Build and maintain solid and credible relationships with the medical community on Valeant’s behalf in both Academic and Community settings, especially in opthalmology.
- Follow all applicable policies and procedures related to MSLs.
- Provide KOL insights and observations to the medical affairs organization on a timely basis.
- Help to ensure that KOL speakers have access to Valeant data.
- Participate in coordinating and conducting peer-to-peer interactions and medical presentations.
- Be well versed in the current therapeutic areas in which Valeant specializes.
- Where appropriate, provide overall medical / scientific support through the dissemination of on-label educational, scientific, and clinical information on diseases and its treatment, for training purposes only.
- Where possible, develop relationships with local thought leaders (physicians, pharmacists and nurses) whose opinions and treatment regimens influence the practice of their colleagues.
- Identify unsolicited requests for investigator-initiated research.
- In response to appropriate requests, disseminate to physicians, nurses and other healthcare professionals state-of-the-art on-label research and medical concepts related to the treatment and management of diseases of interest to the company.
- Relay Medical Information requests through appropriate channels.
- When appropriate, represent Valeant at continuing educational events / programs, medical meetings and conventions.
U.S. Policy on Professional Information Requests
U.S. Policy on Use of Off-Label Reprints
U.S. Policy on Product Promotion
U.S. Policy on Clinical Trials
U.S. Policy on Fee-For-Service Arrangements with U.S. Healthcare Professionals or Related Institutions and Organizations
S.O.P. on the Submission, Approval and Administration of Fee-For-Service Arrangements
Corporate Integrity Agreement
Requirements for Position
Minimum of a PhD, PharmD, or MD in health care field is preferred.
Minimum of 2 years experience as a Medical Science Liaison in a prior role is preferred.
Established relationships with national opthalmology or opthalmological KOLs highly desired.
Takes seriously relevant policies and procedures.
Highly motivated self-starter with a positive attitude, possessing the initiative required to achieve desired goals both independently and within a team structure.
Demonstrated expertise in drug information communication.
Demonstrated project management ability.
Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
Knowledge of FDA requirements related to MSLs.
Strong relationship-building skills, particularly with the research community.
Established and successful track record as a Medical Science Liaison.
Strong administrative management skills.
Team-oriented with the ability work effectively with others.
Demonstrated understanding of product and technical knowledge in opthalmology.
Valid drivers license in good standing.
Working Conditions: Home office, 60-70% travel required, significant air travel is required.
Valeant is an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals International (formerly Biovail) is Canada's largest publicly traded drugmaker. The multinational specialty...