Assists the Technical Supervisor with the direction of the daily operation of the laboratory during regular working hours. Responsible for the operation of the laboratory section in the absence of the Technical Supervisor. Assists with the coordination of workflow assignments, result review, and service standards implementation. Assists with the writing and reviewing of technical procedures. Management duties include assisting the Technical Supervisor with performance reviews, employee counseling, quality issue reports, and other duties as assigned. Provides technical expertise in the laboratory. Performs routine and complex laboratory testing as assigned. In general, this position spends 50% or more of their time performing laboratory testing.
This position reports to the Technical Supervisor, who in turn reports to the Group Manager .
1. Assists the Technical Supervisor with the operation of the laboratory and is responsible for the operation of the laboratory in the absence of the Technical Supervisor.
2. Assists the Technical Supervisor in directing the daily workflow assigned to the specific technical work section. Provides coverage for absence of testing personnel due to illness, vacation, 7/7 absences, or authorized LOA.
3. Reviews scheduling needs of the department. Assists the Technical Supervisor in providing a timely written schedule for all employees. May review time and attendance sheets and submits to Technical Supervisor by the defined deadline. Enforces the ARUP time and attendance policies.
4. Assists with interviews and recommends qualified individuals for positions within the section, following all guidelines and policies of ARUP.
5. Provides input for performance appraisals. May present performance appraisals as assigned.
6. Identifies staff performance issues. Takes immediate corrective action as required. Provides documentation of issues to Technical Supervisor.
7. In conjunction with the Technical Supervisor and Teaching Specialist, assists in training new and existing staff. May complete competency testing on employees. Enforces ARUP policies.
8. Communicates effectively with staff. May lead staff meetings on shifts for which they are responsible as assigned.
9. In conjunction with the Technical Supervisor and Teaching Specialist, promotes continuing education and staff development activities.
10. Motivates employees to maintain a positive, professional, productive, and safe work environment.
1. Assists in writing and updating SOPs (technical procedures).
2. Assists the Technical Supervisor in maintaining an adequate inventory supply to meet or exceed TAT; may perform and/or coordinate quarterly inventory counts.
1. Updates personal skills and knowledge to remain current and become efficient and proficient in the position.
2. Consults with the Medical Director(s) regarding technical issues when appropriate.
3. Develops and maintains scientific and technical expertise in the given laboratory areas. Contributes to lectures and staff in-service sessions.
4. Assists with problem resolution and follow up reports for proficiency testing as requested.
5. Assists in continued instrument and/or testing method troubleshooting of tests as needed.
6. Institutes disaster procedures, computer downtime procedures, unannounced inspections processes, and other processes as required.
7. Enforces all safety guidelines and policies including evacuation procedures.
1. Receives and handles problems. Performs review of pertinent information and initiates immediate corrective action as appropriate. Reports issues and problems to Technical Supervisor. Assigns additional investigation as necessary.
2. Assists with the completion of QC/QA activities and assists in the compliance of regulatory requirements.
3. Provides for review of patient testing results. Ensures any associated quality control issues are resolved.
· May represent the department on committees, task forces, and improvement teams as requested.
Change Control and Implementation
1. Supports the staff during instrument and/or testing method correlation prior to anticipated implementation. Follows change control procedure as outlined in SOP. Communicates changes to staff in an effective and timely manner.
2. Assists with section and corporate initiatives as defined.
3. Communicates changes in a timely manner and educates on the need for the change. Ensures changes initiatives are implemented in an orderly process.
Bachelor’s degree in Clinical Laboratory Science, Medical Laboratory Science, or Medical Technology or Bachelor's degree in chemical or biological sciences.
· ASCP (ML S), ASCP (CLS), ASCP (MT) certification, or ASCP categorical certification appropriate to the section
· Master’s degree in Clinical Laboratory Science or Medical Laboratory Science
· Four (4) of pertinent clinical laboratory experience with at least two (2) years spent working under a director at the doctoral level
· C linical laboratory experience at ARUP Laboratories
Physical and other requirements
· Regular and reliable attendance
· Excellent customer service skills
· Ability to work well with others
· Ability to work long hours, all requ ired overtime and take call as needed
· Must be able to lift 10 pounds
· Must be able to sit and/or stand for extensive periods of time
· Ability to communicate effectively in English, both written and verbal
· Fine motor coordination
· Good visual acuity including color perception
· Involves judgment in planning work, assessing results, solving problems, and taking or recommending action
· Ability to organize work, to meet deadlines, and to work under stressful condition
· Absolute integrity in the accurate identification of samples, test performance, and reporting of results
· Continual assessment of current literature
Assists the Technical Supervisor with the direction of the daily operation of the laboratory during regular working hours. Is responsible for the operation of the laboratory section in the absence of the Technical Supervisor. Assists with the coordination of workflow assignments, result review and service standards implementation. Assists with the writing and review of technical procedures. Management duties include assisting the Technical Supervisor with performance reviews, employee counseling, quality issue reports and other duties as assigned. Provides technical expertise in the laboratory. Performs routine and complex laboratory testing as assigned. In general, this position spends 30% or more of their time performing laboratory testing.
Familiarity with Liquid/Liquid and Solid Phase extractions is desired. Experience with HPLC or HPLC-MS/MS would be beneficial.
ARUP Laboratories - 14 months ago
The good folks at ARUP Laboratories don't grow pale at the sight of blood. The clinical reference lab performs tens of thousands...