Performs chemical, microscopic, and bacteriologic tests to provide data for use in treatment and diagnosis of disease. Applies techniques used in fields of microbiology, histo-pathology, hematology, diagnostic immunology, immunohematology, chemistry or morphological examinations
- Conducts laboratory testing. Initiates and implements course of action based upon standard operating procedures.
- Organizes work flow to accomplish efficient and accurate output. Reviews and verifies results for accuracy, and credibility prior to release. Records and reports results in timely manner.
- Problem-solves to achieve acceptable test results and assures optimal system and instrument operations.
- Interprets and verifies lab findings with regard to type and quality of specimen submitted. Correlates test results with available clinical information and other laboratory data.
- Analyzes and evaluates each process of testing to assure final results are valid and accurate. Maintains and updates technical knowledge and skills by actively participating in department meetings, continuing education, and inservice instructions.Assists in development of operational procedures to ensure effective workflow.
- Serves as resource with automated and other equipment, and in standard operation decision-making. Coordinates laboratory operations in absence of supervisor.
- Ensures compliance with Quality Control and Quality Assurance Programs. Addresses quality of service issues, and to implement internal quality assurance monitors or projects.
- Takes corrective action to resolve problems. Reviews unresolved problems with supervisor. Reports action limit results according to standard procedures.
- May serve as Testing Personnel as defined by CLIA '88 for High Complexity Testing. The testing personnel are responsible for specimen processing, test performance and for reporting test results. Each individual performs only those high complexity tests that are authorized by the laboratory director and require a degree of skill commensurate with the individual's education, training or experience, and technical abilities. Each individual performing high complexity testing must follow the laboratory's procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting and maintaining records of patient test results; maintain records that demonstrate that proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens; adhere to the laboratory's quality control policies, document all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations and maintenance performed; Follow the laboratory's established policies and procedures whenever test systems are not within the laboratory's established acceptable levels of performance; Be capable of identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either must correct the problems or immediately notify the supervisor; and document all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory's established performance specifications.If not qualified to perform testing independently, must perform high complexity testing only under the onsite direct supervision of a supervisor.
- Performs proficiency testing and reports results.
- Advises providers and nursing service personnel of correct procedures for collection, handling and processing of specimens. Assists providers in determining appropriate laboratory services to be used for patient care.
- Assists in training of technical students and/or new technologist employees.
- Assists in development of technical procedures and in writing training procedures. Reviews and critiques new procedures developed by others.
- Detects and repairs subtle instrument and/or reagent problems.
- Bachelor's degree in medical technology from accredited school; or related field
- Valid Hawaii Clinical Laboratory Technologist license (must meet education requirement(s) for Hawaii State licensure).
- Appropriate clinical internship.
- Good knowledge and skills of general clinical lab.
America’s leading not-for-profit health plan, Kaiser Permanente serves more than 9 million people from 37 hospitals and 611...