Under the general supervision of the Laboratory Manager, the Medical Technologist performs routine, complex or specialized bacteriological, hematological, chemical, immunological, serological and immunoassay procedures on body fluids.
2. Requires no supervision for processing specimens, performing testing, or reporting results. No review of patient results is required prior to reporting.
3. Maintains required competencies in all departments assigned.
4. Demonstrates accuracy for all testing performed.
5. Observes patient safety, risk management and infection control policies and procedures
6. Performs related quality control and CAP required proficiency testing according to policy and procedure.
7. Fulfills the duty and responsibility to maintain competence and to continue personal and professional growth.
8. Identifies and assists with opportunities for performance improvement activities on the unit and with other service areas.
9. Demonstrates fiscal responsibility by taking ownership of time management, decreasing waste (of time and supplies) and promoting cost effectiveness while maintaining patient safety and quality of care. To actively market services to increase volume and awareness.
10. Demonstrates the ability to be an advocate for and strive to protect the health, safety and rights of the patient.
11. Interactions with patients and colleagues demonstrate compassion and respect for the inherent dignity, worth, and uniqueness of every individual, unrestricted by considerations of social or economic status or cultural beliefs.
12. Communicate effectively with other care providers (physicians, nurses, business office, and medical records) to provide for continuity of patient care and to meet the needs of the customers we serve.
13. Demonstrates ability to fulfill requirements of attendance, punctuality, and timekeeping practices.
14. Behaviors and interactions demonstrate a positive attitude, personal initiative and motivation to achieve the goals of the unit.
15. To uphold the standards of the profession and organization and practice ethically and with integrity.
16. Other duties as assigned
Education required and/or preferred:
Degreed Medical Technologist/Technician, MT/ASCP, MLT/ASCP or other certification recognized by CLIA, CAP and JCAHO
Degreed Medical Technologist/Technician, MT/ASCP, MLT/ASCP or other certification recognized by Laboratory Certification Agencies.
Experience required or preferred:
General one year clinical laboratory experience or equivalent clinical lab training.
, Knowledge, and Abilities:
Comprehensive knowledge of Hematology, Urinalysis, Blood Bank, Chemistry, Microbiology and related sciences. Knowledge of the operation and maintenance of laboratory instrumentation. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision. Ability to use independent judgment. Ability to remain calm, to think and act quickly and logically in a crisis situation