The Medical Technologist performs stat and routine clinical laboratory testing consistent with written procedures under the direction of a laboratory supervisor. Support the clinical laboratory testing needs of the Integrated Regional Laboratories System. Analyze and report results on test patient specimens in order to ensure timely and accurate results to clients. Demonstrate and apply the theoretical concepts of clinical laboratory medicine using independent judgment.
1. Is proficient with information system computer functions relative to job duties.
2. Demonstrates responsibility and accountability in the performance of accurate and timely laboratory testing.
3. Work is organized and performed according to section procedure manual so that other personnel can follow workflow.
4. Proficiency testing samples are analyzed according to instructions and are completed within the allowable time frame.
5. Assumes responsibility of the department as appropriate in the absence of the supervisor.
6. Consistently completes all required records/documentation pertaining to patient results.
7. Performs stat procedures within established turnaround time targets.
8. Demonstrates the ability to use good judgment and independent thinking in the correlation and interpretation of patient results. (including performing delta checks, etc.)
9. Reviews pending logs (OSR) and result logs; resolves any outstanding workload or communicates to staff relief.
10. Performs quality control procedures per protocol and completes necessary documentation. Assures that quality control results are within acceptable guidelines and parameters.
11. Takes pertinent corrective action when the patient, control, standard, calibration and/or proficiency results are not within appropriate guidelines.
12. Assists supervisor in meeting department regulatory agency requirements (CAP, etc.)
13. Equipment is operated correctly and periodic maintenance is performed according to schedule. Demonstrates the ability to perform equipment troubleshooting to resolve basic equipment malfunctions.
14. Assists in monitoring reagents and supply inventories and utilizes them appropriately.
15. Maintains education and development appropriate for position.
16. Handles all problem and/or critical laboratory specimens/test results according to established procedures and in a timely manner.
17. Quality and accuracy of work meets standards
Required Job Qualifications include:
- Nationally recognized certification as a medical technologist or equivalent.
- State licensure if required.
- Associate's degree in medical technology with formal medical technology training or qualification under CLIA '88 Regulations. Bachelor's Degree is preferred.
- Minimum 1 year of experience as a Medical Technologist in a hospital laboratory is preferred.
- Critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast paced environment.
- Strong team work and collaboration abilities.
- Ability to perform work that requires frequent standing, walking, lifting, grasping and repetitive motion. Lifting up to 50 pounds. Occasional stooping, squatting, pushing, pulling, climbing, overhead lifting. .
HCA Inc - 2 years ago