Mgr/Sr Mgr - Operational Risk-13005862
Operational Risk Management is a comprehensive and integrated program designed to identify measure, assess, report, monitor and control operational risk exposures facing American Express. It supports business processes while meeting all relevant regulatory and legal requirements.
A collaborative partnership between a centralized Operational Risk Management Group (ORMG) and Lead Operational Risk Officer (LORO) enables the efficient and effective operational risk controls supported by the Company’s Operational Risk Framework. This framework consists of several core components, grouped into pillars, including governance, risk assessment, business and environmental internal control factors, and reporting and monitoring.
The main areas of responsibility for this position are to support the overall implementation and governance of the operational risk framework within their respective business area. The position supports the unit’s operational risk champion in guiding the operational risk related behaviors and actions of peers within the business unit.
Among the specific responsibilities, this role will:
1. Support the business area’s implementation of the company’s operational risk framework, ensuring compliance with the requirements of the Enterprise-wide Operational Risk Policy and related guidance.
o Maintain appropriate governance activities including business unit level oversight committee and operational risk profile and reporting.
o Maintain business level procedural documents to support the implementation of the operational risk framework.
o Engage in the conduct of risk assessments using the company’s standard methodologies; mitigate identified control weaknesses through the creation of appropriate action plans.
o Support the documentation and analysis of operational risk events; prepare materials to support the escalation of events to business leaders and the company’s Operational Risk Management Committee, as appropriate.
o Create and monitor appropriate Key Risk Indicators to proactively identify exposures or control weaknesses.
2. Support the operational risk assessment activities associated with the implementation or launch new business practices, products or services, in accordance with the company’s New Product Approval policy and related guidance.
3. Support the effectiveness of business area risk management programs through appropriate behaviors and actions.
- 3 – 5 years experience in risk management, internal audit or reengineering within the Banking or Financial Services industries.
- Solid operational risk and control and/or process improvement related background.
- Strong interpersonal skills / ability to develop relationships with peers in business unit and central operational risk management group.
- Strong team player, and self-motivation with the ability to handle multiple workstreams and ad-hoc tasks simultaneously.
- Strong analytical capabilities.
- Strong presentation skills, particularly in the development of professional and thoughtful materials.
- Strong communication skills and ability to convey clear insight and thought leadership.
- Ability to ask the “right” questions without having extensive knowledge in a particular business area.
Primary Location: US-New York-New York
American Express - 5 months ago
Each day, American Express makes it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they need and for...