The Operations manager manages the full service, multi-shift operation of Sloopy’s Diner which is open 7 days a week with late night hours; leads and fosters a team of staff and students in a diversity-valued organization to serve and support customers in the university environment; coordinates the Hospitality Management Internship Program for Sloopy’s within the Office of Student Life; works with hospitality students on special class projects in which the practical experience enhances the academic experience; seeks partnerships with new academic departments; develops new initiatives and programs; coordinates with unit chef to develop menu items, write menus and establish prices; monitors budgets and cash handling procedures; assists with developing marketing and advertising programs; monitors customer service by interacting with customer and addressing concerns and responds to comment cards; assures ambience and cleanliness of restaurant meets or exceeds standards; performs special projects; leads programs and participates and/or serves on department committees; participates in the centralized planning, implementation and evaluation of the overall Campus Dining Services program. Successful candidate will be required to work nights and weekends.
Student Life’s Dining Services at The Ohio State University is the primary provider of food services to students, faculty, staff and guests of The Ohio State University. Dining Services embraces a mission of Students First and strives to plan, prepare, and serve nutritious and high quality meals, snacks and carryout menu items to our customers.
Student Life’s Dining Services operates nearly 30 different food service brands on OSU’s Columbus campus. A variety of dining styles are provided through these locations, including traditional dining, pizza delivery, grab and go, quick-service, fast-casual, full service and marketplace/station dining. Through these operations, over 5 million meals will be served during the 2012-13 year. In addition to the Columbus operations, Dining Services oversees food service facilities at the Wooster and Newark campuses, supporting OSU , the Agricultural Technical Institute and Central Ohio Technical College. Full service catering is provided to the OSU Columbus community through its aptly named University Catering division. Additionally, Dining Services provides management support to the OSU Child Care Center, located on the main campus.
The executive team includes a Senior Director, along with highly competent operations management, culinary, marketing and finance team members. This leadership structure, and supporting unit-level management teams, also supports the development and training of over 2,100 student employees, the largest student employee base of any department on campus. As a division of the Office of Student Life, we also have access to significant additional university resources that complement and enhance the academic curricula.
This position will report to J. Patrick Ionno, Assistant Director of Ohio Union Operations and be responsible for the overall performance and management of assigned Dining Services operations.
1. Gain a complete understanding of all HR issues within assigned unit and establish a plan for managing/supporting unit managers based on individual unit HR needs.
2. Establish a full understanding of assigned unit, the function of said units and identify strengths & weaknesses.
3. Develop a plan of action to address weaknesses and support strengths.
1. Establish full understanding of cost management for assigned units (budgets, food cost, labor cost, etc.) and develop a plan for any areas of improvement needed.
2. Establish processes for culinary management, including: menu reviews, food cost review, recipe development, nutritional information accuracy and line level involvement.
3. Identify areas of strengths and weaknesses in unit customer service standards and create a plan for increasing all levels of customer service.
4. Successfully complete all Student Life and University training courses (equipment management, business expenditures, procurement cardholder, deposits, journal entry, etc.) as required for position.
The successful candidate for this position will have demonstrated success in several areas, including:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Hospitality or Restaurant Management or other food service related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- 3-5 years’ experience in food service management;
- 3-5 years’ experience with and ability to calculate food, labor and supplies cost;
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as receipts, safety rules, operating instructions, and procedure manuals;
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence;
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization is required;
- Physically able to stand on feet up to 90% of assigned shift;
- Ability to regularly lift and/or move up to 35 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- 3-5 years’ of management supervision;
- 3-5 years’ experience in employee coaching and counseling.
The Ohio State University - 16 months ago
copy to clipboard
Keeping an eye on Buckeye Staters' education is The Ohio State University (OSU). The school has an enrollment of about 64,000 students...