Tests food products and environmental samples for the presence of food-borne Pathogens and indicator organisms.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Follows all ISO 17025 policies and procedures to ensure compliance.
- Performs microbiological analysis for the detection of Pathogenic organisms and indicator organisms in food products and environmental sponges to include; Sample dilution; Sample preparation; Sample enrichment and isolation of bacteria; interpretation of results; and recording of results in an ISO 17025 compliant manner.
- Prepares media as needed.
- Calibrates equipment.
- Monitors equipment.
- Work with positive control organisms with aseptic technique.
- Performs self-audits of testing laboratories.
- Perform satisfactory on split samples for microbiology.
- Sterilizes testing materials.
- Maintains a clean and organized lab.
- Completes assigned QA/QC job functions.
- Plans and schedules work day to ensure all testing is complete in required time frame.
- Recommends changes to current methodologies, equipment and procedures to ensure efficiency.
- Troubleshoots and suggests solutions to challenging testing situations.
- Assists in carrying out work related to new testing methodologies.
- Interprets test results while determining if all controls are within tolerance ranges.
- Follows through with all assigned tasks and goes beyond initial requirement if necessary, to offer improvements.
- Assists with research on current and proposed testing methodologies to include: formation of hypothesis; identification of necessary resources (personnel, materials, documentation); analysis of data; and presentation of data.
- Communicates with outside customers on testing status.
- Works with supervisors to develop yearly objectives and goals.
- Offers technical microbiological support to outside customers.
- Attends continuing education seminars and presents relevant information to supervisor and co-workers.
- Attend technical seminars on equipment use and maintenance.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree (BA or BS) in Biochemistry, Biology, Microbiology or Cell Biology with a Chemistry minor.
- Prefer 1-2 years of prior food or hospital laboratory experience.
- Knowledge of aseptic technique.
- Ability to multi-task and work quickly while maintaining accuracy.
- Excellent phone skills.
- Ability to analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, trend reports, research and testing data. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, or supervisors in an organized, precise, and detailed manner.
- Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, regression and advanced Algebraic equations. Ability to determine percent error, variance, standard deviation, correlation and regression, and dilution calculations.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret a variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Ability to determine when further investigation would benefit the current situation. Ability to recognize when additional resources beyond the scope of the employee or co-workers are necessary.
- The employee will be required to be able to work well within a team environment. The employee must have the ability to interpret co-worker strengths and weaknesses in forming teams to complete necessary tasks and resolve conflict quickly and efficiently without affecting the workday.
- The employee must have knowledge of word processing, database and spreadsheet applications and be able to input test result data into a LIMS based system with minimal training. The employee must be able to create and understand formulas in spreadsheet applications.
Dairy Farmers of America
- 3 years ago - save job
DFA Capital Management Inc. is the market leader in dynamic financial analysis software for the insurance and financial services industries....