JOB OPENING: Middle School (6th Grade) EnglishTeacher
REPORTS TO: School Directors
JOB GOAL: YES Prep teachers commit to ensuring that all of our students, regardless of zip-code attain an excellent education on the path toward college completion. The Commitment to College Completion Contract is signed by all incoming students, teachers and families each school year. The teachers’ responsibilities in the YES Prep Commitment to College Completion include:
- We will arrive at YES Prep on time and will remain for the entire school day.
- We will support our students at YES Prep on appropriate Saturdays.
- We will attend and participate in all staff meetings and professional development.
- We will treat every student fairly and with respect.
- We will teach YES Prep students in the best way we know how, and we will do Whatever It Takes for our students to learn, including providing students with our phone numbers for questions about homework after school.
- We will always make ourselves available to work with students and parents, and we will address any concerns they might have.
- We will be the first both to correct AND to congratulate our students.
- We will provide tutorials for our students as needed to support their learning.
- We will respond to all communication from students, parents, and fellow staff members within 24 hours.
- We will always protect the safety, interests, and rights of all individuals in the classroom.
- We will provide a rigorous college-preparatory curriculum along with necessary support in order to prepare every YES Prep student to be accepted to and graduate from a four-year college or university.
OVERVIEW: Founded in 1998, YES Prep Public Schools is a free, public school system that prepares low-income, minority students in 6 th -12 th grades for college graduation. 100% of YES Prep’s graduating seniors have been accepted to college and over 90% are the first in their family to attend a four-year university. In fact, every senior graduating from YES Prep Public Schools is required to gain admittance into a four-year college or university in order to receive his/her high school diploma. YES is the only school in the greater Houston area to be ranked by both U.S. News & World Report in its inaugural list and again by Newsweek magazine as one of America’s Top 100 public high schools in the United States. There are currently eleven YES campuses in the greater Houston area that serve over 7,000 low-income students.
YES is in the midst of a dynamic expansion effort that will have a profound impact in Houston and across the region. Classroom teachers will play a significant role in ensuring that instructional quality remains at the highest levels; the teacher role will offer an opportunity to be on the cutting edge of an exciting reform movement in the city. We are looking for someone who is willing to do “ Whatever it Takes” to prepare our students for success in college and their chosen career paths.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Teach approximately six periods, as directed by the School Director;
- Plan and deliver engaging, rigorous lessons, according to students’ needs and the provided curriculum, where applicable;
- Maintain a positive, safe, and organized learning environment;
- Update gradebook on a weekly basis;
- Inform students and families about students’ progress;
- Implement school-wide student management policies within classroom and campus;
- Actively participate in all teams, including grade level, content team, and other teams as designated by the campus;
- Make parental contact by phone and/or conduct home visits when necessary;
- Attend parent meetings and conferences;
- Chaperone local and out-of-state field lessons, including but not limited to student Spring Trips;
- Conduct morning, lunch, and afternoon duties during assigned times;
- Complete and submit all necessary paperwork in a timely manner;
- Demonstrate knowledge and support of YES Prep Public Schools’ mission, values, standards, policies and procedures, confidentiality standards, and code of ethical behavior as stated in the Field Guide;
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal laws, local board policies, administrative guidelines, and the Texas Educators Code of Ethics;
- Serve as appropriate role model for YES Prep colleagues, students, staff, and parents;
- Conduct self in a professional manner during all YES Prep meetings;
- Additional duties as assigned
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year educational institution.
Skills and Mindsets:
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
- Belief in and commitment to the mission and core value of YES Prep Public Schools
- Openness to giving and receiving frequent feedback
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team
- A dedication to learn, grow, and develop as a professional
- Belief that every student can and will achieve in your class
- Ability to work urgently in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment
- Strong written communication skills
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once
- Detail-oriented and self-directed
- Initiator, problem-solver, and creative thinker
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress.
- Frequent prolonged and irregular hours of duty;
- Some light manual labor;
- Endure inclement weather conditions to provide for student safety.
COMMITMENT AND COMPENSATION :
Length of Work Year: 10 months; occasional evening and weekend commitments will also be required; occasional travel through the state and region
Salary and Benefits: Salary commensurate with experience. YES offers a friendly and committed team of colleagues and a comprehensive benefits plan including medical, dental, vision, life, disability, supplemental insurance, and retirement programs, including the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and a 401(k) plan.
The forgoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required. YES Prep Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual preference, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or veteran status.
YES Prep Public Schools - 20 months ago
These students are hooked on higher education. The University of Texas System runs nine universities throughout the Lone Star State with a...