The National Education Association (NEA) is America’s oldest and largest organization committed to advancing the cause of public education. Headquartered in Washington, DC, NEA proudly claims more than 3 million members devoted to the following mission: to advocate for education professionals and to unite our members and the nation to fulfill the promise of public education, by preparing every student to succeed in a diverse and interdependent world. Our vision is a great public school for every student. We strive to improve the quality of teaching, to increase student achievement, and to make schools safer and better places to learn.
NEA seeks a Regional Director for the Midwest Region. The Regional Director promotes NEA’s mission, vision, and core values and is responsible for providing vision and leadership that supports, promotes, and advocates the strategic direction of NEA. The Director acts as the primary liaison with the state affiliates by channeling programs and services to meet the individualized needs of the state affiliate; assessing an extremely wide range of circumstances and problems, and providing appropriate intervention to solve these problems.
- Advances the priorities of NEA and the state affiliates within their regions; partners with state affiliates to provide integrated programs and services that focus on membership growth, retention, engagement, and staff development, as well as build affiliate capacity; and collaborates with NEA departments regarding effective delivery systems on NEA products and services.
- Manages regional staff, including developing and evaluating performance expectations and supporting ongoing professional development.
- Oversees the state comprehensive planning process and cooperative regional projects and develops and executes a regional plan that focuses on the agenda of state and national interests.
- Manages the Field Operation of membership, political, and issues campaigns, as well as crisis campaigns within the region.
- Understands team dynamics, promotes strong teams, effectively uses technology to perform their tasks, and balances the diverse needs of states within the Region.
- Drives the creation of an organizing culture focused on building relevance to NEA members.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Relevant graduate degree and/or certification preferred.
- Association experience at the state or national level.
- Membership organizing experience.
- Demonstrated personnel management expertise, including a successful record of achievement in leading a diverse, professional business unit.
- Effective skills in financial management, budget and project planning, and the integration of work cross-departmentally.
- Leadership skills, including the ability to think strategically and facilitate dialogue for shared results.
- Ability to manage execution for organizing and prioritizing work activities, monitoring progress, and delegating responsibility.
- Ability to put into operation the vision of State and National leaders.
- Knowledge of organization effectiveness systems and systems change.
- Extensive knowledge of state affiliates and the NEA.
- Knowledge of public education.
- Flexibility and ability to executive program deliverables prior to established deadlines and to travel extensively (approximately 100 to 120 overnights per year).
- This position is based in Washington, DC or the Midwest Region (North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana and Michigan)
National Education Association (NEA) - 22 months ago