Summary: This position hires, coaches and develops a staff of Mortgage Loan Originators as well as the Mortgage Administrative support staff. The leader will be responsible for developing the departmental goals, marketing strategies and sales execution that are fully aligned with Anchor’s growth strategies, values and relationship management objectives. The Mortgage Manager will be responsible for personal production of select mortgages that are determined to be more complex in nature or are related to our largest commercial and or personal relationships.
This position works with line bank staff, marketing and shared services on product development, implementation, pricing, staff training/education, creating and maintaining standard operating procedures, customer eligibility and risk assessment of mortgage products.
This position partners with business line leaders and Relationship managers to create an environment of teamwork to drive top quartile organizational business results, and maintain a “team culture” within office locations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
LMA – Leading, Managing and Hold Accountable
· Ensure the competency and accountability of Mortgage team members, set expectations for training and development and support continued career development.
- Oversight and responsibility for the overall departmental talent management and individual performance results. This includes hiring, developing, coaching and leading. Consistently communicate mentor and coach team members with positive and constructive feedback. Address underperforming employees and provide timely feedback and effective solutions.
· Sets performance goals, including individual and departmental sales and service objectives which are aligned with the short and long-term Anchor goals. Delegates and leverages the team as appropriate.
· Monitors department performance against goals to ensure that progress on track to meet or exceed established goals. Manage staffing levels, set schedules, approve leave and handle turnover.
- Establish and manage performance objectives for business volume, mix, profitability, segment growth, customer service, product cross-sales and audit report quality.
Department Operations and Planning
- Oversee all Mortgage lending functions including sales, marketing, processing, submission, funding, closing and closed loan delivery.
- Develop and manage the Mortgage Department annual budget.
- Develop and lead implementation of overall Mortgage programs and systems.
- Work with Anchor Marketing to develop, manage and communicate promotional campaigns and product initiatives.
- Develop and manage performance standards for measuring progress. Meet or exceed Department profitability objectives.
- Manage vendors and outside third party vendors and resources. Partners with shared services as appropriate.
- Maintain strong knowledge of competitors’ products, services and activities in the market area.
- Producing manager and/or assisting with mortgage loan origination of key customers, complicated matters and/or in backup capacity.
Cross-team Collaboration / Community Involvement
· While reporting through separate business lines, it is critically important that personal, mortgage, business, cash management, investment and trust as well as shared services create an atmosphere of teamwork and collaboration throughout Anchor. Demonstrate teaming by sharing best practices; provide ongoing product knowledge to internal partners and other appropriate actions that support great results and excellent cross-team collaboration.
- Ensure team members develop effective working relationships with line staff and leaders to provide support/direction on customer requests and assist in business development efforts.
- Represent the Bank to the community through strong customer relationships, business development and community involvement.
Compliance and Policies/Procedures
- Develop and lead implementation of Mortgage policies and procedures and Mortgage products. Effectively communicate residential lending policies, products and programs.
- Develop compliance policies and procedures, training materials, job aids, FAQ’s, etc. to ensure consistency and uniformity of performance.
- Ensure that all Mortgage activities are conducted in compliance with applicable external, federal, state and local regulations as well as internal Bank policies and procedures.
- Participate in regular compliance training to maintain knowledge of current requirements regarding federal and state regulations and investor quality requirements. Ensure team members are trained.
Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree with job-related advanced training and/or certifications or equivalent experience.
· Six plus years of mortgage industry experience with at least three years of significant leadership experience
· Significant industry knowledge of mortgage products and services, including sales management, products, operational and compliance policies and procedures.
Leadership and Communication Skills
· Strong leadership skills required to inspire and motivate top performance.
· Excellent delegation and communication abilities to lead and manage team through complex change situations.
· Project management and negotiation skills.
· Ability to communicate effectively across all organizational levels and business lines; also with external professionals.
Reasoning and Mathematical Skills
· Strong critical thinking, problem solving, and mathematical skills required.
· Excellent planning, prioritization and time-management skills.
· Ability to manage daily workflow, effectively multi-task.
· Ability to proactively identify areas for improvement and facilitate change.
· Ability to provide high levels of client service.
· Self motivated with a strong work ethic.
· Professional approach and commitment to success.
· Ability to handle high pressure situations.
Anchor Bancorp, Inc. - 15 months ago