The Motorhand is responsible for the generators, equipment, and systems that power the rig and drilling activities.
Additional responsibilities include off-loading materials, maintaining equipment, and assisting in rig up and rig down.
The Motorhand works closely with and oversees Floorhands on the rig floor, assists the Derrickhand as needed, and assists the Driller in day-to-day operations.
Key relevant tasks performed by a Motorhand include the following:
- Regularly inspect, maintain, and repair generators, equipment, and SCR or VFD house
- Responsible for hydraulic and electrical systems and equipment
- Provide instructions, train, and oversee Floorhands during drilling activities
- Regularly check rig and equipment for any problems and safety issues on an ongoing basis
- Use forklift to off-load and move materials
- In charge of all lock-out/tag-out of breakers
- Keep a daily log of maintenance and repair activities
- Assist Derrickhand with mixing chemicals and other mud maintenance as needed
- Assist with rig up / down procedures
- Assist in cleaning and general upkeep of the rig and drilling floor
- Support other crew members as needed, ensure compliance with safety procedures, and other additional tasks as assigned
To qualify for a Motorhand position, an individual must be willing and able to safely perform the following activities:
Education Requirements and Knowledge
- Stand or stand and walk for a minimum of 3.5 hours and up to 12 hours without being able to sit and while wearing steel-toed boots
- Repetitively climb steep stairs and be able to lift and carry 50 pounds independently up and down the stairs
- Lift and carry 50 pounds independently while walking on uneven surfaces
- Bend, stoop, kneel, twist, and crawl throughout the tour work shift
- Lift and place slips weighing approximately 150 pounds with another person occasionally during the tour work shift
- Independently use heavy-duty handheld and long-handled tools
- Clear vision to judge near and far distances to maintain awareness of, watch, and report ongoing work activities to coworkers and third parties
- Listen for unusual noises that signify equipment and machinery problems
- Accurate recall over short and long-term memory
- Maintain spatial orientation and awareness to safely move around work environment with many moving objects
- Stay alert and focused up to12.5 hours while performing repetitive and routine activities
- Demonstrate clear communication skills and ability to promptly follow directions
- Take initiative and work independently during downtime
- Wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) at all designated times
The Motorhand job requires a high school diploma, certificate or equivalent.
A Motorhand must be able to do the duties of a Floorhand as they will oversee, train, and work closely with Floorhands.
Mechanical knowledge and aptitude is helpful, but not required as long as the individual is able to learn and perform tasks necessary to the upkeep of the generators and systems.
This position requires the person to work outdoors for an entire tour work shift in all types of weather conditions, including precipitation, cold / heat, high wind, and turbulent conditions.
They will be exposed to the typical conditions of the local area where the rig is located.
The Motorhand must work with an emphasis on safety for themselves and others including coworkers and third parties.
They must be able to work closely with others as they will work together in the confined area of the drilling rig and may choose to live together in crew quarters.
They must be willing to work a hitch, which consists of 7 days on / 7 days off, or 14 days on / 14 days off, working 12.5 hour shifts that can include days or nights and as well as weekends and holidays.
How To Apply
To apply, click the "apply now" button at the lower right hand corner of the screen and follow the directions.
Amount of Travel
Work At Home
Patterson-UTI Drilling Company LLC - 9 months ago
Patterson-UTI Energy, Inc. is a provider of contract drilling business. It operates primarily in Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas,...