Full-time, tenure-eligible, 9-month appointment (possible 10th month with supplemental compensation). Salary competitive and commensurate with academic experience, accomplishments, and criteria of the NAU School of Music. Attractive benefits package. Duties begin August 19, 2013.
- Letter of application, curriculum vitae including contact information (mailing address, phone number, and email address) for five references, statement of teaching philosophy, sample course syllabi, video of a recent conducting performance and rehearsal no longer than 30 minutes, and official or unofficial transcripts of the last degree earned or in progress. Finalists will conduct a week of rehearsals and one concert in December 2012 or February 2013.
Chair, Director of Orchestras Search Committee
Northern Arizona University School of Music
1115 S. Knoles Drive, Box 6040
Flagstaff, AZ 86011
- School of Music seeks a dynamic, creative, and dedicated conductor-educator to serve as a tenure-eligible assistant/associate The NAU professor with an additional appointment as Director of Orchestras. Duties include directing the Symphony Orchestra and Chamber Orchestra, conducting one opera production annually, teaching conducting courses, providing leadership and vision in the orchestra and string programs, exercising fiscal and administrative responsibility, recruiting orchestral students, continuing professional creative/scholarly activities, and assigned service responsibilities to the School of Music, the college, the university and the profession.
- Doctorate in orchestral conducting or related field by the time of appointment,
- Master's Degree in orchestral conducting or related field and three years of orchestral conducting experience in a post-secondary academic or professional setting.
- Extensive and varied conducting background.
- Experience in or established record of success in recruiting at the collegiate level.
- Demonstrated success in teaching and administrative leadership at the university/collegiate level.
- Evidence of potential for or a record of excellence in scholarly/creative contributions to the profession.
- Demonstrated commitment to and/or success in working with diverse populations on campus and in the community.
- The School of Music at Northern Arizona University continues a proud tradition of training the next generation of music teachers, performers, and scholars for the State of Arizona and the Southwestern U.S. A growing number of undergraduate and graduate students, approximately 400 in number, pursue degrees in music education, performance, choral conducting, instrumental conducting, music theory/composition, musicology, Suzuki violin/viola, and piano accompanying.
- Northern Arizona University is a 25,000-student institution with its main campus in Flagstaff, a four-season community of about 65,000 at the base of the majestic San Francisco Peaks. NAU's emphasis on undergraduate education is enhanced by its graduate programs and research as well as distance learning. All faculty members are expected to promote student learning and help students achieve academic outcomes. The university is committed to a diverse and civil working and learning environment.
- Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check. Additionally, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
- $55,000 to $60,000. Attractive benefits package.
- This position will be open until filled or closed. Review of applications will begin on October 29, 2012.
Northern Arizona University - 17 months ago