Abbott is a global healthcare company devoted to improving life through the development of products and technologies that span the breadth of healthcare. With a portfolio of leading, science-based offerings in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic pharmaceuticals, Abbott serves people in more than 150 countries and employs approximately 70,000 people.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTION:
Nurse Practitioner/OH Nurse is a principal, clinical position responsible for diagnosis and treatment of work related and personal injuries and medical surveillance. It is a front line, hands on clinical practitioner dedicated to support treatment within a large organizational setting for Abbott Vascular, Santa Clara site.
Provides for and delivers health care services to workers and worker populations within an occupational setting to assist ill and injured employees to reach maximum health and productivity. Functions as a clinical case manager and coordinates an individual client's health care services across multiple systems from the onset of injury or illness to a safe return to work or an optimal alternative. Care is coordinated with a focus on achieving quality care delivered in a cost-effective manner. Using a unique knowledge of employees, their social or family system, and the work environment, the occupational health nurse assesses, plans, implements, coordinates, monitors, and evaluates the care for clients. Practices within the parameters of professional licensure to ensure consistency with legal, labor, regulatory and corporate requirements.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures.
1. Collaborates with management and the broad Environmental, Health and Safety staff to carry out mutual corporate objectives.
2. Acts as a professional health resource for the organization's management in planning and maintaining initiatives and programs that meet defined goals and objectives.
3. Provides initial assessment of occupational injuries, illnesses and exposures and may treat or refer for further evaluation as necessary in accordance with clinical guidelines and protocols.
4. Assesses the broad spectrum of client needs, including physical and psychosocial factors, using data from various sources including, but not limited to aggregate case/claims experience, employer representatives, other health care providers, health records, and third party representatives.
5. Assesses non-occupational sudden illnesses occurring at work, determines the immediacy of treatment, and gives guidance to seek care from emergency/personal health care providers.
6. Develops a plan of nursing care based on identified needs and problems and assists with the development of primary, secondary and tertiary prevention and health promotion strategies to optimize health and prevent injuries and illnesses.
7. Develops processes for identifying situations that require early intervention to maximize desired outcomes.
8. Identifies client goals, objectives, and actions in a comprehensive case management plan and implements interventions to achieve desired outcomes within designated time frames.
9. Coordinates nursing process to generate consistent documentation of treatment, interactive process and administrative aspects.
10. Establishes generic and specific communication plans involving internal and external parties, as appropriate.
11. Identifies qualifications and expectations for, and monitors and evaluates outcomes and quality of services delivered by health care providers and vendors in the treatment and rehabilitation network.
12. Collaborates with treatment, rehabilitation providers, third party representatives to coordinate/provide for the appropriate care, treatment and follow-up of work related health events based on knowledge of the specific work environment for optimal outcomes.
13. Assists supervisors and employees with return to work issues including work restrictions, modified scheduling and job accommodations.
14. Provides health-related counseling for supervisors and employees within the scope of nursing knowledge and practice.
15. Conducts workplace walkthroughs/assessments and exposure follow-up.
16. Maintains and safeguards privacy and confidentiality of business and protected health information.
17. Participates in the development of related policies, procedures and work instructions.
18. Identifies researchable problems and participates in studies and projects according to research skills.
19. Assumes responsibility for professional development and continuing education to ensure competency and performance consistent with professional Occupational Health Nursing standards.
POSITION ACCOUNTABILITY / SCOPE:
Understands business environment and relates extensive knowledge of internal and external activities to trends. Interfaces with a variety of management levels on significant matters, often requiring the coordination of activity across organizational units. Participates in the development of others by facilitating training and providing feedback and guidance. May lead a project team. Provides technical leadership to business units. Acts as a mentor to less-experienced staff. Exercises judgment independently. Plans and organizes project assignments of substantial variety and complexity. Initiates or maintains schedule for projects and project milestones. Establishes priorities of individual or project assignments. Selects methods and techniques to lead a project to completion. Erroneous decisions or recommendations would typically result in failure to achieve organizational objectives.
Extensive clinical experience. Comprehensive knowledge and application business concepts, procedures and practices. Uses in-depth knowledge of business unit functions and cross group dependencies/ relationships. Is recognized as an expert in work group. Will perform this job in a quality system environment. Failure to adequately perform tasks can result in noncompliance with governmental regulations. Works on complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors. Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. Has broad knowledge of various technical alternatives and their potential impact on the business.
Bachelor's degree plus 5+ years of clinical related work experience with a complete understanding of specified functional area, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
Certified Nurse Practitioner, Licensed California Registered Nurse, or Certified Occupational Health Nurse Specialist, all with relevant experience. Advanced degree preferrable.
Significant Work Activities and Conditions
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 20 % of the Time
Abbott Laboratories - 15 months ago
Filling baby bottles and treating disease... these are the habits of Abbott. Abbott Laboratories is a top health care products manufacturer....