Manages the administrative functions related to the operations of a 8 physician primary care office in Wellesley. Directly responsible for the activities of staff personnel in the areas of appointments, communications, medical records, medical secretaries, patient referral, medical assistants, and facility operations.
Supervision: The Office Manager operates as a member of the office management team and reports directly to the Business Manager for Primary Care.
Knowledge of organization policies, procedures, and systems. Knowledge of health care administration practices/ government and reimbursement regulations and requirements / HIPAA/OSHA regulations. Knowledge of billing and collection practices, bookkeeping and accounting practices. Skill in computer applications. Knowledge of coding and clinic operating policies and procedures. Knowledge of insurances, HMOs and agency reimbursement procedures and practices related to collection activities. Ability to understand and interpret policies and regulations. Ability to prepare documents in response to complaints and inquiries. Ability to work effectively with co-workers as a team member and leader.
Skill in planning, organizing, delegating and supervising. Skill in gathering and interpreting data. Skill in verbal and written communication. Skill in researching, preparing and presenting comprehensive reports. Ability to take initiative and to exercise independent judgment, decision-making and problem-solving expertise. Ability to work effectively with staff, patients, public and external agencies.
General Statement of Duties:
- Courteous, professional and cooperative behavior toward patients, visitors, coworkers and physicians. Performs duties as a team player, integrating activities with other staff members.
- Understands how all staff positions function and actively participates in the daily operation of the office including answering phones, filing, etc. as appropriate. Provides assistance to the office staff to ensure the practice runs smoothly for both physicians and patients.
- Is responsible for managing personnel related activities, including scheduled hours, attendance, time off requests, leaves of absences, discipline and discharge documentation, evaluations, and overtime.
- Supervises the daily operation of the office including helping staff establish deadlines for work assignment and completion, and monitoring work status and progress.
- Develops enhanced workflow mechanisms and procedures to increase office efficiency and assists staff in understanding and implementing organizational policies and procedures.
- Assists in coding information about procedures performed and diagnosis on charge. Keys information into on-line entry program and produces billing. Assists with coding and error resolution.
- Monitors cashier receipts and petty cash funds, reconciling daily each cash drawer with cash receipts journal. Generates bank deposit slips and makes daily cash bank deposits
- Manages expenses, maintains an internal purchase order system, including ensuring proper bookings, updating and revising clinicians schedules, and monitoring session utilization.
- Compile management reports related to volume session utilization, etc.
- Ensures office staff treats all patients courteously and that visitors are screened and properly directed. Promotes a customer service orientation among staff members.
- Ensures that requests for information are handled promptly and effectively.
- Maintains strictest confidentiality of all information.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Business Manager and physicians and must be willing to take on additional responsibilities and provide assistance in all areas needed.
High school graduate required. Bachelors degree in health care, business or related field preferred. Minimum of 3-5 years medical office experience required. Primary care strongly preferred. Supervisory experience required.